Press enter after choosing selection

Two Guilty Of First Degree Murder

Two Guilty Of First Degree Murder image
Parent Issue
Copyright Protected
Rights Held By
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.
OCR Text


Two Guilty Of First Degree Murder

Third Youth Wins Lesser Verdict In Slaying Case

Morey and Pell Face Life Terms for Killing Nurse with Mallet; Sentences To Be Passed Dec. 4

By Tom Dickinson

William R. Morey, III, and Jacob Max Pell were found guilty of first degree murder in the mallet-slaying of St. Joseph's Mercy Hospital Nurse Pauline A. Campbell. A circuit court jury returned the verdict at 9:40 last night.

Their companion, David Lee Royal, was convicted of second degree murder by the panel of six men and six women, who deliberated for three hours and 30 minutes before announcing their verdict.

The three 18-year-old youths showed virtually no emotion as their guilt was pronounced by Jury Foreman William Kramer, retired Manchester mail carrier.

Conviction of first degree murder in Michigan carries a mandatory penalty of life imprisonment. A second degree murder sentence is indeterminate, ranging from a term of years to life.

Judge James R. Breakey, jr., who presided over the two-week trial, will formally impose sentences on Dec. 4. The youths, meanwhile, will remain in the County Jail.

Mrs. Morey sobbed bitterly as her son's guilt was announced. Mrs. Royal, sitting with relatives, and Mrs. Pell buried their faces in handkerchiefs. Otherwise there was no demonstration.

Courtroom Empties Quickly

The courtroom was empty minutes after the trial ended, where before it has been crowded with officers, lawyers, litigants, families of the defendants, newsmen, and spectators.

Morey and Pell, both from Ypsilanti, and Royal, who lives in Milan, were accused by the prosecution of killing Miss Campbell as she was about to enter her rooming house at 1424 Washington Hgts. early in the morning Sept. 16.

Yesterday's climax to the trial occurred as follows:

Judge Breakey took his place on the bench at 3:15pm. after a delayed lunch hour necessitated by long closing arguments by attorneys.

Five minutes later, he began his charge to the jury which ended one hour and 54 minutes later.

He carefully outlined the claims of both the prosecution and defense, and explained pertinent points of law for the jury's consideration.

Verdicts of not guilty, guilty of first degree murder and guilty of manslaughter were the choices Judge Breakey offered for each defendant.

Two Jurors Excused

At 5:15, County Clerk Luella M. Smith drew the names of two jurors from the 14-member panel, which included two alternates. Excused were Galbraith P. Gorman of Dexter and Mrs. Carrie Beeman of Chelsea. Thus, the regular 12 jurors made the decisions.

Court Officer J. Edward Weber and Deputy Sheriff Max M. Peet then were sworn to guard the secrecy of the jury deliberations, and the jury retired at exactly 5:19 p.m.

About 6 o'clock, the jury was escorted out the building for dinner at a nearby retaurant, and at 6:50 it returned to continue deliberations.

Word was sent out at 8:25 that the jury wanted to see the signed confessions of Pell and Royal and some photographs offered as evidence by the prosecution, to refresh several of the jurors' memories.

That was the last communication between the jury and the court until just before 9:40, when Kramer came to the door to indicate that the decisions had been made.

Jury Polled

After Kramer announced the verdicts, the three defense attorneys rose to ask for individual balloting of the verdicts for their respective clients. This was done.

Ralph C. Keyes, Morey's attorney, said after the court adjourned that he would discuss with the Morey family the possibility of an appeal.

Pell's counsel, Albert J. Rapp, and Royal's lawyer, Alfred T. DeOtte, expressed similar intentions.

One of the jurors said afterward that the first vote on Morey was 10 to 2 for conviction of first degree murder. A brief discussion resulted in unanimity, however.

In Pell's case, the initial ballot was 11 to 1, with about two hours elapsing before the holdout agreed to the first degree count.

Royal First Deadlocked

In Royal's case, the juror explained, the first vote showed a deadlock of six to six, split between second degree murder and manslaughter verdicts.

Mayor William E. Brown, jr., said today he has turned over the $500 reward he offered for information leading to the arrest and conviction of Miss Campbell's slayers to Police Chief Casper Enkemann.

Enkemann, who is out of town, is expected to give the check to Daniel E. Baughey, Ypsilanti youth and one-time companion of Morey, Pell and Royal, whose "tip" to Ann Arbor police on Sept. 19 led to their arrest.