DEDICATE NEW BUILDING: The recently completed First Church of the Nazarene in Ypsilanti will be dedicated Sunday. during a special ceremony.
YPSILANTI - The First Church of the Nazarene will be dedicated Sunday in a special ceremony conducted by Dr. W. M. McGuire, superintendent of the Eastern Michigan District of the denomination.
Dr. McGuire will give the dedication address during the program, starting at 2:30 p.m. Special music will be provided by the Trissel family of Bradenton, Fla., who are now conducting revival services in the church.
The recently completed new sanctuary was built over a basement constructed 10 years ago. It has a seating capacity of 300.
Sunday school classrooms are located in the basement, used as a meeting place until last year when construction of the sanctuary made necessary a move to temporary quarters, provided by the Roosevelt School, Eastern Michigan College and the Christian and Missionary Alliance. Church.
The church was opened as a mission in June, 1939, under the leadership of ministers Ruby McNulty and Mary Howland. Formally organized the next year, it held meetings in the home of a member.
Services were later held in a tent on property purchased in 1943, on the corner of Prospect and Forest Sts., until the present property on N. Prospect was purchased and the house located there was used for worship services. Construction of the basement for the new building began in 1947.
Present membership of the church is 55. Sunday school enrollment is 159. The pastor is the Rev. Earl M. Crane, who came to the church last July from Cass City.