Man Whose Idea Led To Eye Bank Dies At Hospital
Two years ago an Ann Arbor man had an idea which led to the establishment of the first eye bank at the University Medies6 Center.as
That man, Max L. Narren of 1331 Michigan Ave., died last night at University Hospital, and in line with his wishes his eyes will be used to restore or improve the sight of two other persons through corneal transplants. The operations will take place at the Medical Center. · Warren, who was 50, held the first card issued by the Ann Arbor Lions Club to the hundreds of persons who have willed their eyes after death to benefit sight-handicapped per. sons. Warren made the sug. gestion for the eye bank to his brother-in-law, Robert E. Tilford, an officer of the local Lions club. Sight conservation and aid to the blind are major projects of the Lions.
The Michigan Eye Collection Center is now supported by a number of Michigan Lions clubs, including Ypsilanti Lions, although the major share is still carried by the Ann Arbor group. It was established in September, 1957.
Warren, a pharmaceutical salesman for many years, had been a resident of Ann Arbor for the past six years. He is survived by his wife, Grace; a daughter, Lisbeth Kazdemba of Chicago; his mother, Mrs. Pearl MacArthur of St. Johns, Mich., and a brother, Melvin, also of St. Johns.
Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Friday at St. Johns, and burial will take place there.
Michigan Eye Collection Center [Eye Bank]
Ann Arbor Lions Club
Clubs & Organizations
University of Michigan Medical Center
Ypsilanti Lions Club
Ann Arbor News
Max E. Warren
Robert B. Tilford
1331 Michigan Ave Ypsilanti