St. Andrew’s Church will name its parish house Henry Lewis Hall.
St. Andrew’s Parish House To Bear Dr. Lewis’ Name
The Rev. Dr. Henry Lewis, rector-emeritus of St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church, was ordained into the Episcopal priesthood exactly 42 years ago this Sunday.
On Sunday, the parish house of St. Andrew’s Church will be dedicated and named for the Rev. Dr. Lewis—one of Ann Arbor’s longtime, distinguished and most colorful citizens.
Time of the dedication is noon. Open to the public, it will be held in the recreation room.
The Rev. Gordon M. Jones, jr., rector, has written a service for the occasion. Herbert G. Watkins, retired assistant vice-president at the University and former senior warden of St. Andrews (during Dr. Lewis’ tenure), will assist in the dedication.
At present, the parish house provides space for the chapel, three clerical offices and three clergymen’s offices, a library, 11 school rooms, a lounge and recreation room, stage and kitchen.
The cornerstone of the parish house was laid in February, 1950, and the building was occupied in September, 1951.
James K. Galbraith, local photographer and a parishioner, has created a portrait colored in oils of Dr. Lewis. It will be unveiled at the dedication and hung permanently in the narthex of the Chapel of St. Michael and All Angel’s in the parish house.
The building will be named Henry Lewis Hall.
[image]: HENRY LEWIS