Organ Dedication Concert Sunday
SATURDAY OCT 1977
The First United Presbyterian Church, Ypsilanti, will dedicate its newly enlarged Carroll C. Curtis Memorial Organ at an organ concert on Sunday at 4 p.m. in the church sanctuary.
The organ was originally built by the George Jardine Co. of New York and installed in 1898. It was dedicated along with the renovated building on Sept. 23 of that year. In 1946, the organ was rebuilt and electric controls were added by the Lima Pipe Organ Co. This year an eight-foot trumpet rank and a three-rank mixture, totaling 244 new pipes, have been added by the Lima Pipe Organ Co. at a cost of $5,600.
The congregation has provided for this newly enlarged organ in memory of organist, Carroll C. Curtis, who died on April 5, 1976. Curtis became church organist in 1933. In 1934, wartime employment interrupted his service until 1956, when he was again appointed organist. Then he served continuously until the time of his death.
As guest organist, the church has invited Alice W. Simpson, assistant organist for the First Presbyterian Church of Dearborn. Recently Mrs. Simpson received an honorary diploma and silver medal from the French Academy of Arts, Letters and Sciences in Paris, France, for her work as organist in promoting French and Dutch organ music. She is a member of the Dearborn Symphony Orchestra and has studied piano at the American Conservatory of Music in Chicago. She has a B.A. degree in piano from the University of Illinois.
Mrs. Simpson will play works by Frank, Langlais, Ruthgerber, Arne, Young, and Monnikendam, as well as a work which she has composed in honor of Carroll Curtis. She will be assisted by a brass quartet Jack McKinny, Charles Larkin, Jr., John Holtfretter, and Marta Hofacre.
The board of deacons of the church will sponsor a fellowship hour following the concert.