Ohio Bishop To Help Church Mark 150 Years
The Rt. Rev. John H. Burt, Episcopal bishop of the Diocese of Ohio, will preach during the 10 a.m. service Sunday at St. Andrew's Episcopal Church here.
His appearance is in connection with St. Andrew’s year-long celebration of its sesquicentennial.
The church also will celebrate Christian Education as it is carried out in the church school. There will be a special exhibit reflecting church school development and history and at a special reception following the service some 35 church school children will put on brief plays on the history of St. Andrew's, beginning with the original difficulties of St. Andrew's in finding a meeting place in downtown Ann Arbor in 1827.
Bishop Burt, a native of Michigan, returns to Ann Arbor where from 1946 to 1950 he was chaplain to the Episcopal students and faculty at the University of Michigan and also was associated with St. Andrew’s.
He has been during his career rector of churches in St. Louis, Mo., Youngstown, Ohio and Pasadena, Calif. He has been the elected bishop of the Diocese of Ohio since 1967.
After the festival morning prayer service and sermon by Bishop Burt, the congregation will honor the first full-time director of Christian education at St. Andrew’s, Marguerite Smith and Suzanne Coash, who succeeded her on a part-time basis, and the current associate in Christian education, Nancy Heusel.