Press enter after choosing selection

Evacuation blamed on detectors

Evacuation blamed on detectors image
Parent Issue
Copyright Protected
Rights Held By
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.
OCR Text

Evacuation blamed on detectors

Ann Arbor school Officials have attributed a suspected gas leak at Community High School earlier this week to improper operation of detection equipment.

Monday morning the school was evacuated twice after carbon monoxide detectors sounded in third-floor corridors. A check by fire officials revealed none of the poisonous gas, however, and classes were allowed to resume.

According to Wiley Brownlee, associate superintendent, faculty members at Community didn’t know the detectors would sound automatically when first turned on until told this week by the fire department.

Two years ago a carbon monoxide leak from Community’s heating system sent 96 persons to area hospitals.