Press enter after choosing selection

Two men sentenced in rape-torture case

Two men sentenced in rape-torture case image
Parent Issue
Copyright Protected
Rights Held By
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.
OCR Text

Two men involved in the June 23 rape-torture of an Ypsilanti woman Thursday were given prison sentences by Circuit Judge Patrick J. Conlin.
Michael Eugene Coffey, 20 of Ypsilanti, was sentenced to a maximum of five years in prison on attempted kidnapping, criminal sexual conduct and assault charges. Minimum sentence is three years, four months.
Freddy Marshall, 19, of 115 Maple St., Ypsilanti, was sentenced to between 32 months and four years in prison for felonious assault. Marshall, who was found guilty of the charge by a jury in October, was given credit for the 154 days he has spent in jail.
Testimony at the trial revealed the two had spent most of the day of the crime drinking beer at parks before proceeding to the Hamilton Street apartment of a 22-year-old woman who had once lived with Coffey.
Coffey started beating the woman, according to witnesses, but Marshall left the scene to catch a nap in his car. When Marshall returned to the apartment, the two appeared to be having sex while the woman was crying. Coffey then took a butcher knife and told Marshall to "cut her and shut her up." defense attorney Frederick McDonald said.
Coffey then snatched an electric cord off an appliance and had the woman's wrists tied up. There were conflicting accounts during the trial as to what happened after that, but the victim told the jury the electrical cord was plugged in and she suffered shocks.
Neighbors heard the woman's screams and called police. When officers arrived, the woman burst out of her apartment and fled down the hallway, followed by Coffey waving a butcher knife. The man dropped the weapon when officers drew their guns.
The woman was taken to St. Joseph Mercy Hospital for treatment of cuts and bruises.
In other sentences handed down Thursday:
Daniel James Riggs, 27, of 89891 Cedar Lake Drive, Pinckney, was sentenced by Circuit Judge Patrick Conlin to spend the first six months of a three-year probationary sentence in jail. Riggs was ordered to start serving the sentence on Dec. 27.
Riggs, who was sentenced for breaking and entering into an occupied dwelling with intent to commit larceny and receiving and concealing in excess of $100, also was ordered to pay a $50 fine, $180 costs and make restitution of $250.
Riggs broke into a dwelling in the 2900 block of Birch Hollow Drive last September and stole two shotguns, two revolvers, one rifle, a television, stereo equipment and a tape player with a total value exceeding $2,000.
Judge Conlin ordered that if Riggs does not appear at the jail on that date, he will serve 3-15 years in the Southern Michigan Prison at Jackson.
Patrick Dennis Layher, 26, of 801 Congress, Ypsilanti, was sentenced to six months probation for uttering a publishing a forged check. He also was ordered to pay a $50 fine, $100 costs and make $25 restitution.
Cheryl Rene Miller, 29, of 2500 Lake in the Woods, was sentenced to six months in jail, five years probation, $600 court costs and $963 restitution with credit for the 56 days she has spent in jail for issuing three non-sufficient funds checks within 10 days.
Jeffrey Raymond Liddicoat, 34, was given two sentences of 90 days in jail for third or subsequent offense of operating a vehicle under the influence and failure to stop at the scene of a serious personal injury accident.
The sentences are to run concurrently and start next Jan. 16. He also is to pay a $500 fine and $240 court costs. If he fails to appear at the jail to serve the jail sentence on the proper date, he is to serve one year in jail.
Garnie Vernon Hunter Jr., 28, of 7600 Munger Road, Ypsilanti, received two years probation and was assessed $240 court costs for possession of a short-barreled rifle.
Mark Mulder, 24, of 1916 Ridge, was placed on two years probation and ordered to pay a $100 fine, $240 court costs and make $250 restitution.
Henry Tyrone Clifton, 28, was sentenced to 2 to 5 years in the Southern Michigan Prison at Jackson for escaping from prison and to 2 1/2 to 5 years for breaking and entering an occupied dwelling with intent to commit larceny. An habitual offender count against him was dropped.
Laurie Ann Cooch, 18, address unknown, was sentenced to 1 year under HYTA and 15 days volunteer work at St. Andrew's for receiving and concealing stolen property in excess of $100. She also was ordered to pay $100 fine plus $100 court costs plus restitution.