1. What is the scientific difference between evolution and natural selection?
2. What is variability and what part does it play in natural selection?
3. Describe the working conditions on Daphne.
4. What made Daphne and the Galapagos unique? Why were they the perfect places to prove Darwin’s theory?
5. Why are the Grants’ studies so distinct and therefore so valuable?
6. How did Darwin’s stay on the islands change his ideas?
7. How important was the dry season to the study?
8. Discuss the difference between science and philosophy.
9. Discuss some of the evolutionary effects of introducing non-native species to an area (e.g. Ash Borer, Asian Ladybugs)
10. Is evolution taking place every day?
11. Did anything about the Grants’ work surprise you?
12. Compare and contrast the work that the Grants’ did and earlier scientific studies on the theory of evolution.
13. What kept the Grants coming back to the islands? What does it take to do this work? Do you admire the people who do this work?
14. Have you ever seen hundreds of birds on a telephone wire? Do you look at them the same way since you read the book?