Walker's, opened in 1907, was one of the city's largest liveries, with more than thirty horses and a wide variety of buggies, wagons, and sleighs for rent. Adelbert Walker lived next door and took great pride in his two teams of white Arabian horses used for funerals. At that time most Ann Arborites walked to stores, school, and work or paid 5 cents to ride the streetcars.
In 1914 Walker auctioned off his horses and equipment and joined the trend to automobiles. Like liveries, taxis met passengers at the depot and transported baggage, now at the speed of up to fifteen miles per hour. By 1921 one could go by cab to the Michigan Union, Hill Auditorium, or anywhere in town for only 25 cents. Walker’s closed in 1945.