The city dug wells and large cisterns at Main intersections to provide water for fire fighting. By 1886 the demand for a more dependable supply was met with 100 hydrants installed by the new Ann Arbor water company. From a station Northwest of town, water was pumped from the nearby Huron river up to the Sunset road reservoir. Pipes carried water from there down into town. In 1914 the city purchased the company.
This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library