Gottlob Luick in a white shirt stands in the Fifth Avenue door way of his building in 1895. Emmanuel sits on the far right, young Albert Luick sits on the Ground, and Oscar Luick stands at the far left. The Luicks worked in the shop alongside a changing ethnic mix of hired laborers. Germans, Irish, and African Americans established their presence in this neighborhood before the Civil War and built churches nearby. Italians and Greeks joined them after 1900.
Frame location: West side of Fifth, near curb, just north of Detroit Street, facing northeast
Collection info: Sturgis Collection
This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library