The Ann Arbor District Library is seeking Michigan area Black artists for paid commissions. Initiatives include:
Black Lives Matter Mural
A mural featuring the words BLACK LIVES MATTER to be displayed on the fencing along the Library Lane side of the Downtown library.
- Open Call: July 17 - August 17
- Selection Process: August 18-30
- Commissions and Installation: September 2020
- On Display: October 2020-Spring 2021
- Mural Dimensions: 60' x 6', divided into 6 to 10 sections
- The Library will pay commissions of $1000 per section for selected artists for the mural project, plus reimbursement for supplies and mileage for installation.
Black Artists Showcase
We are seeking digital artwork by Michigan area Black artists to be purchased/licensed for the Library’s circulating Art Prints Collection.
- Accepting submissions through 2020
We are seeking portfolio submissions by Michigan area Black artists for future graphic design projects including posters, print promotions, book covers, signage, logos, summer game art, and brochure illustrations.
- Open Call: Ongoing
- Selected artists will be invited to meet with the Marketing team to discuss future projects.
How to Submit
- Please submit an artist statement and images representative of original work from your existing portfolio demonstrating your style. Selected artists will be paid for commissioned work.
- For questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us and leave a message: 734-327-4217
- Submit through the online form at: aadl.org/call_for_artists
Artist submissions will be reviewed and selected by Library staff and members from the local community.
Community Panelists: Jamall Bufford, Marianetta Porter, Rochelle Riley, and Omari Rush
Thank you for your interest in these initiatives.
For other Black Lives Matter Projects at the Ann Arbor District Library, visit aadl.org/blacklivesmatter