Welcome to the first ever 2021 Winter Game at AADL! Have fun, stay at home, and earn points towards the 2021 Summer Game!
If you're a returning Summer Game Player, the Winter Game won't take much getting used to. If you're new to the Winter or Summer Game—congratulations, you're in for some fun!
WHAT IS THE WINTER GAME?
The cold-weather version of our popular Summer Game offers a lot of the same fun, challenges, and excitement as the original, but allows you to do everything from the comfort of your own home. Winter Game activities are roughly broken down into five different categories:
Each day starting January 4, 2021, brand new Winter Game activities will be released at play.aadl.org. Some will offering up something amazing to read, some will recommend a film, video series, or AADL.TV program you're sure to love. You might get recommendations on music, podcasts, or audiobooks the Winter Game staff are really into, or you might find an upcoming event to participate in and be a part of. Then there's the stuff Summer Gamers have come to know and love—badges, riddles, and challenges on topics like LEGO and ciphers and labyrinths and so much more. PLUS, tons of little secrets and surprises sprinkled throughout the winter!
HOW TO GET STARTED
1) Sign up for the Winter Game using your existing AADL account. If you don't have a Library card, you can still create a Winter Game account and play along. Parents can add kids and teens to their Winter Game profiles as well.
2) You can also text NEWPLAYER to 734-327-4200 to create a profile and play via text (messaging and data rates may apply).
3) Get your feet wet by testing your brain and solving one of our one-star difficulty web search badges. Decipher the clues and use AADL's catalog search to find game codes.
611 WAYS TO EARN WINTER GAME POINTS
Once you have a Winter Game profile, you can earn points towards the 2021 Summer Game by doing the following:
1) Solve online challenges—new content daily at play.aadl.org!
2) Complete Winter Game badges by solving puzzles and finding clues on aadl.org and throughout the internet
3) Look for hidden codes in Winter Game ads or on select AADL.TV programs!
NEED HELP OR HAVE QUESTIONS?
If you have any questions, comments, or have trouble with any part of the Winter Game:
1) Email firstname.lastname@example.org
2) Text or call 734-327-4200
3) Visit the contact us page on AADL.org
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1) Is the Winter Game just for kids?
Heck no! Kids (and parents) definitely have tons of fun participating in AADL's Summer Game—and the Winter Game is pretty similar! At least half our Summer Game players aren’t children! Teens and adults love puzzles and book and podcast recommendations and earning points and badges too. Fun for all ages—and we're not just saying that.
2) How long does the Winter Game go?
New Winter Game content will be released from January 4 through March 12—though anyone can play the Winter Game until the very last day of the 2021 Summer Game (end date to be announced).
3) Can my kids play the Winter Game if they don’t have a Library card?
SURE! AADL.org accounts can add extra players to their profiles and help young ones and family members enjoy the Winter Game as well. Codes can be entered separately for each entry, or texted through a single number to credit each account with the code.
4) Do I need an Ann Arbor District Library card to play the Winter Game?
Nope! Anyone can play the Winter Game if they create an account on aadl.org.
HOW IS THE WINTER GAME DIFFERENT FROM THE SUMMER GAME?
There are a few key differences between the Winter Game and Summer Game:
1) No Classic Reading Game
The classic reading game where kids, teens, and adults fill out cards tracking all the things they've read, watched, or listened to over the summer—that won't be featured in The Winter Game.
2) Everything in the Winter Game will and can be done in the comfort of your own home
Everything you can read, watch, listen to, do, or solve in the Winter Game can and will be done from inside your own homes. No explorer badges for physical places, no home codes, no banners at AADL locations. Stay home and stay cozy.
3) Winter Game points will be used for the 2021 Summer Game
All points earned in the Winter Game will carry into the 2021 Summer Game. Which also means...
4) No Winter Game shop
We won't have a Winter Game shop, though we're cooking up some interesting ideas for players as you read. Look for the 2021 Summer Game shop to be chock full of amazing items you can spend all the points earned from the winter.