Welcome to the Summer Game at AADL! Use your Library this summer to find codes, solve puzzles, attend events, and earn points towards tons of awesome AADL prizes—all thanks to the Friends of the Ann Arbor District Library! You don't need a Library card to play!
WHAT IS THE SUMMER GAME?
For decades, the Summer Game was a classic summer reading game for kids. In 2011, that all changed. Now it's a puzzle-filled spectacular for all ages AND a summer reading game wrapped into one. The Summer Game breaks down into three general ways to play:
Complete the card this summer by reading 10 books for kids or five for teens & adults and earn points, prizes, and more.
2) THE SUMMER GAME: EXPLORER SERIES
Explore parks, museums, local businesses, and AADL branches, or attend AADL events and find signs with Summer Game codes on them. Redeem those codes for points, special badges, and prizes galore. Some explorer destinations are trickier and require you to solve clues or riddles to deduce what the actual codes might be.
3) THE SUMMER GAME: ONLINE CODES
Buried deep within the AADL online catalog and the general internet are hundreds of Summer Gamer codes worth thousands of points, plus the everlasting glory and bragging rights that come with finding them. Throughout the summer, we’ll release a series of themed online challenges, which can be solved with savvy searches of our catalog and the web. Discovering these secret codes unlocks points (which can be redeemed for AADL prizes) and earns you special badges.
HOW TO GET STARTED
1) Sign up for the Summer Game using your existing AADL account or, if you don't have a Library card, create one. Parents can add kids and teens to their Summer Game profile as well.
2) You can also text NEWPLAYER to 734-327-4200 to create a profile and play via text (messaging and data rates may apply).
4) Try solving one of our one-star difficulty web search badges like the Fine Feathered Friend. This badge celebrates Big Bird on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of Sesame Street. Follow the clues and use AADL's catalog search to find the game codes. Find all five and earn the badge!
5) You can also try completing one of our Ann Arbor Explorer Badges. The Kerrytown Constitutional is a nice contained badge, where clues will lead you to different parts of Kerrytown where you'll be directed to find codes on signs or buildings all around Kerrytown. Solve all five codes and earn the badge!
HOW TO EARN POINTS
Once you have a Summer Game profile, you can earn points for using the Library in all sorts of ways.
1) Find codes in AADL buildings, parks, museums, on the sides of buses, in ads, or at AADL events.
2) Solve online challenges by searching the AADL catalog and the internet for codes.
3) Finish the Classic Summer Reading Game for 2,000 points.
4) Read, watch, or listen to media for 50 points per day. Bonuses for the more days you log!
5) Write a review of any item in our catalog for 100 points.
6) Rate items in our catalog (one to five stars) for 10 points per rating.
7) Check out a library item for 10 points per item (requires Checkout History to be turned at my account > account > preferences, check the box next to Record Checkouts).
8) Complete a badge series for bonus points.
HOW TO EARN PRIZES
Prizes can be earned two ways: through the Classic Summer Reading Game and through points earned in the Summer Game itself.
1) CLASSIC SUMMER READING GAME
-Finish five books and earn your choice of a duck keychain, unicorn backpack clip, or squishy fish toy
-Finish 10 books and win a book of your choice from our prize book cart—courtesy of the Friends of the Ann Arbor District Library!
-Finish five books and win a book of your choice from our prize book cart—courtesy of the Friends of the Ann Arbor District Library! Also choose between a $5 Fee Forgiveness Coupon or a $1 Coupon for the Friends Shop.
-Finish five books and choose between a $5 Fee Forgiveness Coupon or a $1 Coupon for the Friends Shop
2) SUMMER GAME POINTS
Summer Game points earned throughout the summer can be used to redeem dozens of prizes in the Summer Game Shop, which opens Friday, July 12, 2019.
Prizes in the 2019 Summer Game Shop are available for anywhere from 2,000 to 25,000 points, but we also release prizes in our Classic Shop throughout the summer, which can be redeemed using points earned from any year of the Summer Game.
NEED HELP OR HAVE QUESTIONS?
If you have any questions, comments, or have trouble with any part of the Summer Game:
1) Email email@example.com
2) Text 734-327-4200
3) Visit the contact us page on AADL.org
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1) Is the Summer Game just for kids?
Heck no! Kids (and parents) definitely have tons of fun participating in the Classic Reading Game and hunting for in-person and online codes, but guess what? Teens and adults love puzzles and scavenger hunts and getting points to use for free stuff too! Fun for all ages—and we're not just saying that.
2) How long can I play the 2019 Summer Game?
The Summer Game runs from June 14 through August 31. Players can join at any time during the summer and have plenty of time to earn tons of points, win tons of prizes, and have tons of fun.
3) Can my kids play the Summer Game if they don’t have a library card?
SURE! Summer Game players can add extra players to their profiles and help young ones and family members enjoy the Summer Game. Codes can be entered separately for each entry, or texted through a single number to credit each account with the code.
4) Do I need an Ann Arbor District Library card to play the Summer Game?
No! Anyone can play the Summer Game if they create an account on aadl.org.