Welcome to the Summer Game at AADL! Use your Library this summer to find codes, solve puzzles, attend events, and earn points towards tons of awesome AADL prizes—all thanks to the Friends of the Ann Arbor District Library! You don't need a Library card to play!
If you're a returning Summer Game Player, you can skip to the CHANGES section to see what's new this year.
WHAT IS THE SUMMER GAME?
Since as far back as the 1940s, the Ann Arbor Public Library had an annual summer reading program for kids—encouraging children to continue reading over the summer break. In 1960 the theme was Highway to Alaska. In 1952 it was Flight to Mystery Island. Who could forget 1954’s Space Ship to the Moon?
TEN YEARS AGO—way back in 2011—that all changed. The modern Summer Game was born. Today, the classic summer reading program of old also includes a puzzle-filled spectacular for all ages.
The Summer Game breaks down into three general areas of play:
1) THE CLASSIC SUMMER READING GAME
Kids, teens, and adults can complete the classic Summer Reading Game by reading or listening to 10 ANYTHINGS (books, podcasts, magazines, articles, or pieces of content) to earn Summer Game points and more. Kids and teens who log 10 anythings will receive 2,000 Summer Game points (for SG prizes) and a book prize token for a free book! Adults will get 2,000 points and a bonus code they can use for the Summer Game shop (more on this later!). Get your reading card for kids, teens, and adults HERE---> DOWNLOAD EDITABLE READING CARD
2) THE SUMMER GAME: EXPLORER SERIES
Explore parks, Library branches, and sites across the city, or virtually attend AADL.TV events to find Summer Game codes. Redeem those codes for points, special badges, and prizes galore.
3) THE SUMMER GAME: ONLINE CODES
Hidden in the AADL’s vast online catalog and the general internet are hundreds of Summer Gamer codes worth thousands of points, plus the everlasting glory and satisfaction that comes with finding them. Throughout the summer, we’ll release a series of themed online challenges, which can be solved with savvy searches of our catalog and the web. Discover these secret codes, unlock points (which can be redeemed for AADL prizes) and earn special badges throughout the summer.
HOW TO GET STARTED
1) Sign up for the Summer Game using your existing AADL account. If you don't have a Library card, you can still create a Summer Game account and play along. Parents can add kids and teens to their Summer Game profiles as well.
2) You can also text NEWPLAYER to 734-327-4200 to create a profile and play via text (messaging and data rates may apply).
3) Download your Classic Summer Reading Game card to play the Classic Summer Reading Game or log your 10 anythings at play.aadl.org as you complete the challenge, or fill out the form, take a picture and tag us on social media (or email email@example.com)
4) Get your feet wet by testing your brain and solving one of our one-star difficulty web search badges. Decipher the clues and use AADL's catalog search to find game codes. Find all five and earn the badge!
5) Try completing one of our Ann Arbor Explorer Badges.
1,001 WAYS TO EARN SUMMER GAME POINTS
Once you have a Summer Game profile, you can earn points by using the Library in all sorts of ways.
3) Finish the Classic Summer Reading Game for 2,000 points.
HOW TO EARN AMAZING PRIZES
Prizes can be earned in two ways: through the Classic Summer Reading Game and through redeeming Summer Game points.
1) CLASSIC SUMMER READING GAME
Kids and teens who finish and log 10 anythings receive a book token good for a free book courtesy of the Friends of the Ann Arbor District Library.
2) SUMMER GAME POINTS
Summer Game points can be used to redeem dozens of prizes in the Summer Game Shop, which opens in mid July. Prizes in the 2020 Summer Game Shop are available for anywhere from 2,000 to 25,000 points, and points from previous Summer Games can also be used on 2020 prizes! There is a limit of four prizes per player.
NEED HELP OR HAVE QUESTIONS?
If you have any questions, comments, or have trouble with any part of the Summer Game:
1) Email firstname.lastname@example.org
2) Text or call 734-327-4200
3) Visit the contact us page on AADL.org
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1) Is the Summer Game just for kids?
Heck no! Kids (and parents) definitely have tons of fun participating in the Classic Reading Game and hunting for in-person and online codes, but guess what? At least half our players aren’t children! Teens and adults love puzzles and scavenger hunts and getting points to use for free stuff too! Fun for all ages—and we're not just saying that.
2) How long does the Summer Game go?
The Summer Game runs from June 12 through August 30. Players can join at any time during the summer and have plenty of days to earn tons of points, win super prizes, and have fun fun fun.
3) Can my kids play the Summer Game if they don’t have a library card?
SURE! Summer Game accounts can add extra players to their profiles and help young ones and family members enjoy the Summer Game as well. Codes can be entered separately for each entry, or texted through a single number to credit each account with the code.
No! Anyone can play the Summer Game if they create an account on aadl.org.
CHANGES AND UPDATES FOR RETURNING SUMMER GAME PLAYERS
CLASSIC SUMMER READING GAME
1) We’ve combined the kid, teen, and adult reading games into a single reading card. Kids, teens, and adults can consume 10 anythings to complete the game.
2) Reading cards will not be physically distributed until the Library can open to the public for browsing.
3) Reading Game participants can complete the challenge three ways: log their titles at play.aadl.org, post a picture of your complete reading card on social media and tag the Library and/or use the hashtag #summergame, or email a completed card to email@example.com
4) Kids and teens who complete the game will be given a book token to be redeemed for a free book later in the summer. Adults who complete the game will receive a bonus code for use in the Summer Game shop.
1) There will be no interior AADL building codes this year, though all locations will still have a giant banner with a code available
2) Josie’s Downtown code also won’t be accessible from inside the Library, though she might have found a creative way to still make it accessible
3) All Bummer Game badges are fair game for Summer Game points through August 30.
4) Until the resumption of in-person AADL events, Summer Game event codes will be displayed with all AADL.TV programming. Visit aadl.org or AADL.TV to see all the things we’re doing virtually this year!
THE SUMMER GAME SHOP
1) The Summer Game shop will go live by mid July with 12 all-new prizes available for you to spend your points on.
2) Points from the 2020 Summer Game and past Summer Games can be used on 2020 Summer Game prizes. This is because, unfortunately, we won’t be offering classic Summer Game prizes in the shop this year. We still have a maximum of four prizes per player this year.
3) Summer Game prizes can be ordered once the shop opens, with a special bonus prize added for those who order items before August 1.
4) All Summer Game prize orders will be processed all at once in September (instead of over the course of the entire summer). Orders will be packaged all together and made available to Summer Game players for pick-up before October 31.