Welcome to the Summer Game at AADL! Use your Library this summer to find codes, solve puzzles, attend events, and earn points towards tons of awesome AADL prizes—thanks to AADL and the Friends of the Ann Arbor District Library! You don't even need a Library card to play!
WHAT IS THE SUMMER GAME?
Since as far back as the 1940s, the Ann Arbor Public Library had an annual summer reading program for kids—encouraging children to continue reading over the summer break. In 1960 the theme was Highway to Alaska. In 1952 it was Flight to Mystery Island. Who could forget 1954’s Space Ship to the Moon?
Way back in 2011—that all changed. The modern Summer Game was born. Today, the classic Summer Reading Game of old is just part of the Summer Game, which also includes a puzzle-filled spectacular for all ages.
The Summer Game breaks down into three areas of play:
1) THE SUMMER READING GAME
Kids can complete the Summer Reading Game by reading 10 books to earn Summer Game points and a free book! Adults and teens can consume 10 ANYTHINGS (books, podcasts, magazines, articles, or pieces of content) to earn points as well. Adults will get 2,000 points, while kids and teens receive 2,000 Summer Game points (for Summer Game prizes) and a prize token for a free book! Get your reading card for kids, teens, and adults HERE---> DOWNLOAD EDITABLE READING CARD
2) THE SUMMER GAME: EXPLORER SERIES
Explore parks, all five AADL locations, and sites across the city, or attend AADL events online or outdoor and in-person to find Summer Game codes. Redeem those codes for points, special badges, and prizes galore.
3) THE SUMMER GAME: ONLINE CODES
Hidden in the AADL’s vast online catalog and the general internet are hundreds of Summer Game codes worth thousands of points, plus the everlasting glory and satisfaction that comes with finding them. Throughout the summer, we’ll release a series of themed online puzzles, which can be solved with savvy searches of our catalog and the web. Discover these secret codes, unlock points (which can be redeemed for prizes) and earn special badges throughout the summer.
HOW TO GET STARTED
1) Sign up for the Summer Game using your existing AADL account. If you don't have a Library card, you can still create a Summer Game account and play along. For parents: you can add kids and teens to your Summer Game profile as well!
2) You can also text NEWPLAYER to 734-327-4200 to create a profile and play via text (messaging and data rates may apply).
3) Pick up a paper Summer Reading Game card at any AADL location, or download an editable Summer Reading Game card here. You can also log your 10 anythings at play.aadl.org as you complete the game, or fill out the form, take a picture and tag us on social media (or email email@example.com)
4) Get your feet wet by solving one of our one-star difficulty web search badges. Decipher the clues and use AADL's catalog search to find game codes. Find all five and earn the badge!
5) Try completing one of our Ann Arbor Explorer Badges.
1,001 WAYS TO EARN SUMMER GAME POINTS
Once you have a Summer Game profile, you can earn points by using the Library in all sorts of ways.
3) Finish the Summer Reading Game for 2,000 points.
HOW TO EARN AMAZING PRIZES
Prizes can be earned in two ways: through the Summer Reading Game and by redeeming Summer Game points.
1) SUMMER READING GAME
Kids and teens who finish and log 10 anythings receive a book token good for a free book courtesy of the Ann Arbor District Library.
2) SUMMER GAME POINTS
Summer Game points can be used to redeem dozens of prizes in the Summer Game Shop, which opens in mid July. Prizes in the 2021 Summer Game Shop are available for anywhere from 2,000 to 25,000 points! There is a limit of four prizes per player.
NEED HELP OR HAVE QUESTIONS?
If you have any questions, comments, or have trouble with any part of the Summer Game:
1) Email firstname.lastname@example.org
2) Text or call 734-327-4200
3) Visit the contact us page on AADL.org
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1) Is the Summer Game just for kids?
Heck no! Kids (and parents) have tons of fun participating in the Summer Reading Game and hunting for in-person and online codes, but guess what? At least half our players aren’t children! Teens and adults love puzzles and scavenger hunts and getting points to use for free stuff too! Fun for all ages—and we're not just saying that.
2) How long does the Summer Game go?
The Summer Game runs from June 11 through August 29. Players can sign up at any time during the summer and have plenty of days to earn tons of points, win super prizes, and have fun fun fun.
3) Can my kids play the Summer Game if they don’t have a library card?
SURE! Summer Game accounts can add extra players to their profiles and help young ones and family members enjoy the Summer Game as well. Codes can be entered separately for each entry, or texted through a single number to credit each account with the code.
Nope! Anyone can play the Summer Game if they create an account on aadl.org.