Press enter after choosing selection

Missing Three Weeks

Missing Three Weeks image
Parent Issue
Public Domain
OCR Text

The Hurón river has claimed another victim. And what is more remarkable, for nearly three weeks his body has lain undiscovered between the mili dam and the river bridge. Wednesday, some boys saw what they thought was some old clothes in the river. Yesterday, shortly after dinner, they set out in a boat to investigate. When they came close to it, they at first thought it, as one expressed it, "a stuffed man." Putting an oar under the body, they at once discovered a human form. They at once went for some men, the officers were notified and the body taken from the river. While the crowd was gathered around the body, Matthias Luippold, who had been working at the Central Mili, came running across the fields. He thought the clothes looked like his father's; putting his hand in the vest pocket, he brought out a pipe and a pair of spectacles, which he at once recognized. The body was that of John G. Luippold. He was last seen Easter Monday, March 30, when he took dinner at his son's in the fifth ward, where he had lived since last August. He went off after dinner without saying where he was going as had been his custom. He did not return at night and they left the doors unlocked that night. As he did not appear they made up their mind that he had gone to visit a daughter in Pittsfield, whom he had spoken of going to see on the previous Saturday. Last Sunday, however, the'daughter was seen and reported that she had not seen him. Inquiry among his relatives afforded no clew. The officers were not notified, but the family kept up an anxious search. He was sixty years oíd and carne to this city five years ago from Wurtemberg, Germany. His wife died eight years ago. He worked on a farm when able to do so, or around at days' work. He had had no work lately, and was greatly troubled with the asthma. Coroner Clark held an inquest yesterday afternoon, when the foregoing facts were brought out. The jury, composed of M. C. Peterson, John Kress, Geo. W. Brown, Geo. H. Miller, John J. Robison and A. V. Robison, returned a verdict of accidental drowning. At the inquest Fred. S. Davis, a machinist, said he found the body shortly after one o'clock yesterday, thirty rods from the race just above a clump of trees, in water about a foot and half deep, and thought he could not have come there through the bank of the river. Jacob Seabolt, who was notified by the boys who found him, said the body was fifty feet from the shore. He thought he must have fallen off the bank. Elmer Stofflet and Harvey Kellogg, the boys who found the body, said the water was about a foot deep there. Patrick McCabe, the turnkey, thought it less than a foot deep, and thought the body staid there because the water was not deep enough to float it. It lay on the side. Matthias Luippold, the son, and his wife Christine, be. sides testifying to the facts given above, said he never talked of suicide, had had no quarrels, had no money, was not a regular drinker, and was perfectly sober when last seen. No scars were discovered on the body, and no physician was examined. The probabilities are that he attempted to cross the break in the Ibank on a plank and feil into the water.