Press enter after choosing selection

Death Of A Prominent Ypsilantian

Death Of A Prominent Ypsilantian image
Parent Issue
Public Domain
OCR Text

While at dinnerFriday the family of Charles King, the pioneer grocer of Ypsilanti, were startled to see him uddenly overeóme by heart trouble. lastily going to Iris relief, they laid ïim upon a couch, where he breathed ithout regaining consciousness for bout fifteen minntes. Then all was ver. Mr. King had been down town, s well as usual, all the morning, had riven about as was his wont, and the iiock caused by his death was the reater because of its unexpectedness. Charles King was born in London, England, September 12, 1823, andcame o the United States with his father in 833. The business of C. King & Co., s the present flrm is known, was ounded in 1837, by the father, Charles ssisting in it from the first, the style f the firm being George R. King & on. The father died suddenly in 849, af ter which the firm of C. and E. lina (brothers) was formed. In 1867 !ie deceased purchased his brother's nterest, since which time he has been hief owner. In 1873 he admitted his on Charles E., and later a nephew, ohn Lamb, into the business. Mr. King was married in 1850 to Miss Susan Sewell, who preceded him o the unknown. A son, Chai-Íes E. King, and a daughter, Mrs. John H. Wortley, both of this city, were born to thein. Deceased was a thoroughly honest business man, a citizen whose character was above reproach. By strict attention to business he had attained a competency, which afforded him in his later years an abundance of leisure to enjoy himself as he pleased. Known to every person in the vicinity, and knowing everybody, he was always ready for a salutation, and had a smile for each. And not only will he be missed by the few old settlers who have grown up with the place, but by all. The funeral took place frorn the residence, Monday afternoon, in the presence of a large attendance, many coming from surrounding towns. The beautiful services of the Episcopal church, of which the deceased was a consistent member, were conducted by Rev. M. S. Woodruff, rector of St. Luke's, assisted by Dea. J. M. B. Sill.