Press enter after choosing selection

Additional Local

Additional Local image
Parent Issue
Public Domain
OCR Text

The fuaeral of Mrs. Ellen Picquette of N. Main street, was held at St Thomas' church, Tuesday morning. The animal renting of pews in the Methodist church will take place on Monday evening next, Oct. 5, at 7:30 o"clock. Tuesday noon, Melville Stratton, a brakeman on the Michigan Central hadhisleft arm crushed while coupling cars at the depot. The funeral of the three-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. George Hass, of Ann Arbor town, was held Tuesday after noon. The child died of cholera in fantum. The flnest arranged saloon in the state was opened Tuesday evening, in connection with the Cook House. The decorations are heavy plastic relief with white marble wainscoting, anc the furnishings are in antique oak anc leather. Miss Eebecca Henriques, of Fifth avenue, south, died very suddenly Saturday morning of appoplexy . She was bom in New York, and carne to Ann Arbor in 1852. She was a member of St. Andrews' church, and was highly esteemed by mauy friends. The funeral services were held at the house Monday afternoon. One of the most disgraceful sights seea on our streets in a long time was that of a man and his wife, Timothy Cullinene and wife of Scio, both dead diunk on W. Huron street. Deputv sheriffs Peterson and Campion took thern to jail. Monday, Mrs. Cullinene plead guilty to the charge of being a common drunkard and was fined $5 and costs. Her husband was let off with a fine of S2 and costs. Deputy-sheriff Schall went to Detroit Monday, and brought back with him Mary Ellis, a domestic who until last Triday worked at the Arlington House in this city. When she packed hei trunk she put in a dress belonging to another domestic, and this was the cause of all her trouble. On Tuesday morning she plead guilty bef ore Justicë Pond to the charge of larceny, and then commeneed weeping and wailing and begging for mercy. Her tears had but little etïect on the justice, but they reachedthe heart of the proseeuting attorney and he induced the justice to make her sentence $5.00 fine and $10.50 oosts, or 30 days in jail. She couldn't raise the money and was placed in jail. An excellent job has been done on bridge No. 2 by Street Commissioner Sutherland and his assistants, aad the bridge is now in excellent shape. It will be remembered that the bids for repairing the bridge were $485 and 425 and that the board of public works declined to accept them but entrusted the work to the street comnnssionen The repairs contained in the contract were all done in excellent shape at a cost of $316.95, of which $81.25 was for labor, a large saving to the city. It was found that the overhead timbers not mentioned in the specifications in which bids were asked were rotted and these were replaced at a cost of $65.73. The bridge is now in good condition. New and second hand carriages and harnesses for sale or exchange for oats or hay at Kobison & Howlett's palace livery. Miss Carrie Binder, of Jackson,is visitihg relatives in the city this week.