Press enter after choosing selection

Killed By The Fast American Express

Killed By The Fast American Express image
Parent Issue
Public Domain
OCR Text

. Fred S. Earl, of Ypsilanti, a young man of twenty years of age, lost his life at the Michigan Central depot last Tuesday evening by jumping! froru the fast American Express whicli passed through here at 5:52 going at the rate of twenty miles an hour. He had boarded the train at Ypsilanti where they stopped for orders. , The train does not stop here. Earl's companion jumped all right but Earl was drawn under the car, his legs badly mangled and he died two and a quarter hours afterwards from the effects of the shock. Coroner Clark empanelled a jury consisting of George W. Cropsey, Theop. Porter, R. Waterman, Thos. Haley, M. B. Gelston and G. B. Reed. Conductor F. H. Jones of the American express train swore that no passengers were allowed on the train. It passed through here at a speed of twenty or twenty-five miles an hour. He did not know any one was on the train except the employés. A person stealing a ride could pull a cfaain and stop the car. He was on the rear of the last car and saw a man lying on the north side of the track near the rear end. He signaled the train to stop. Gibert Gray, of Jackson, bridge foreman, was looking out from the platform of the third car. The man jumped off, struck on his feet and fjll forward so that he could not see him. He tokl the conductor there was a man under the cars. The conductor rushed to the whistle cord and stopped the train. He jumped off and ran back to where the young man was laying with his legs badly mangled. He said his name was Earl and he lived in Ypsilanti. Station Agent Mayes testified to the conductor's notifying him of the accident and telephoning for Dr. Kapp, Dr. Kapp found Earl very weak and his let' t leg crushed off above the knee. The right thigh was very much lacerated and crushed, but no boncs were broken in the right limb. He was removed to the hospital and died about forty-five minutes after getting there. He had a bruise on his right cheek and temple and a scalp wound but his skull was not fractured. His death was caused by the shock. The jury decided "That Fred S. Earl came to his death on March 1 , 1892 at the University hospital at 8:45 p. m., by receiving injuries in jumping from the American Express train while in full rnotion at Ann Arbor at 5:52 p. m."


Ann Arbor Argus
Old News