Press enter after choosing selection

Killed Near Emory

Killed Near Emory image
Parent Issue
Public Domain
OCR Text

-n. lautii ciücmciiL ocuurrea near liinory, ou the Aun Arbor road, Sunday night. Tlie crown sheet on one of the largest engines on the road blew out, instantly killing T. C. Wilson, the fireman, who was making his first trip. He leaves a wife in Pontiac. On his person were found two touching and affectionate letters from her. The partioulars of the accident were developed at the coroner's inquest held in this city. A jury consisting of Geo. W. Cropsey, Theophilus Porter, G. F. Gwinner, R. Waterman, A. V. Robison and George H. Khodes was impanneled by Coroner Clark. E. Erickson, the engineer ba locomotive 38, testified that Jthe accident happened one and a half miles from Emory. The crown sheet gave out and caused the explosión which killed the fireman, T. C. Wilson. When struck by the steam, the flremau was right in front of the Qre box, liring up. It knocked him off the locomotive. There were between 140 and 145 pounds of steam on at the time, and the engine was just striking an up grade. It was the first trip of Wilson on the road. The witness, Erickson, had been an engineer for a year on the Council Bluffs road, and had been with theAnn Arbor road since March 31, 1893. This was his first trip on engine No. 38. James J. Horton, the first brakeman, was on the locomotive when Wilson was killed. Wilson had thrown one shovelf ui of coal into the fire pit, and was turning for the next, when the explosión occurred. Horton, was thrown from the train, and was somewhat bmised. He went to look for Wilson, and found him dead. Horton had been braking for four weeks. He was on the locomotive contrary to the rules, but was there at the request of the engineer. Kobert Hecker, the other brakeman, was in the way car. The train was making ten or twelve miles aa hour. John Fleteher, the conductor, was the first to reaeh Wilson after the accident. He was dead, lying on his face, with his head towards the south, lengtliwise of the track. ïlis clothes were partially burned off of htm. He thought Wilson had been blown back to the first car and thrown off. Dr. E. A. Clark, who made the postmortem, testified to finding the lowei part of the body tenïbly burned, the back bruised, the face and arms burned and bruised, and a large scalp wound on the top of his head. The fire and steam were enough tokill him insïantaneously. The jury's verdict was tliat Wilson came to his death by being blown from the engine by steam and tire caused by the boiler barsting.


Ann Arbor Argus
Old News