Mrs. N. H. Pierce, the magnetic physician died at her residence in the fifth ward Saturday night, of cáncer of the liver. Mrs. Pierce was born in Watertown, Jefferson county, N. Y., her maiden name being Monroe. Her father John Monroe moved to Detroit in 1835 and three years later came with his family to Anu Arbor, since which time Mrs. Pierce has resided in this city. Here, on August 4, 1847, she was married to N. H. Pierce. The Wnshtenaw Countv Historv savs: When about r6 years of age, Mrs. Pierce developed considerable literary talent, and her writings were much sought after by the papers of the city and state, as well as by "The Ladies' Repository." Some years since she published a series of articles, entitled "Ann Arbor in Slices," in the Ann Arbor Courier, which attracted a great deal of attention. Mrs. Pierce has ahvays taken a leadingpart in philanthropic matters, was the founder of the Fifth Ward Decoration Society, and for many years was its president. This society starting out in 1870, with little money, but with a strong' determination, succeeded in raising the money and erecting thesoldier's monument which now graces the north side cemetery in honor of the brave boys who gave their lives that this country might survive and prosper. Mrs. Pierce has been a prominent member of the Washtenaw County Pioneer Society, and has probably done more work and toiled longer for the benefit of that organization than any other of its lady members. In 1880 she was United States census enumerator in the fifth and sixth wards and was also state census enumerator in these wards in 1884. She practiced as a magnetic physician for many years and had built up a large practice, much of it being correspondence practice. She had five children, of whom three survive, Mrs. J. B. Saunders, E : vard H. and N. H. Pierce, jr. The funeral services were held f rom her late' residence Tuesda) afternoon.