Press enter after choosing selection

The Hand Murder Trial

The Hand Murder Trial image
Parent Issue
Public Domain
OCR Text

The trial of James Clifford Hand for the minder of Jay Pulver, the nightwatchman in the Hay- Todd mili at Ypsilanti, on the night of March 11, is in progress in the circuit court and is being hotly contested. Prosecuting Attorney Kearney is assisted by T. A. Bogle, and Hand is defended by Chas. E. Whitman aud J. C. Knowlton. The jury was secured Monday afternoon aod is as follows: A. B. Cole, Peter F. Knight, John Widemeyer. John H. Wade, William Deubel, Godirey Grau, Emanuel Koch, F. A. Wilson, Charles Kalmbach, Horatio Burch, Clifton Green, and Frank Wheeler. They are quartered at the Cook House and are kept secluded from the public, only being allowed to read papers and letters from which all accounts of the trial have been carefully expurgated. The prosecution finish presenting their case to the jury. The case his been well presented and the witnesses have been numerous. The case, of course, is one of purely circumstantial evidence. Patrick Riguey, the day watchman at the mili, described the flnding of the body of the murdered man. Not being able to get in the mili that morning he had entered through a window which was unfastened. He had rubbers on. He gave a graphic description of the horrible sight which met his eyes. A pair of pipe tongs were imbedded in Pulver's head. He told of nail marks found oü the window sill which were produced and put in evidence, the prosecution endeavoring to show further on that these nail marks fltted Hand's boots. James O'Couuor, a painter, detailed his flnding Pulver's body, while Rigney had gone for help. He described Hand's actions on the morning after the murder. Joseph Soper, the superintendent of the mili, testiöed that Hand was familiar with every part of the mili. H3 business had been to watch the automatic system of fire protection in the mili. He deseribed the fresh track8 on the water table on the morning of the minder. He testifled that the piece of yarn picked fromlland'sovercoat on the morning after the murder, the overcoat beiug the one Hand had worn the night previous, was the kind used in the Hay-Todd mili and no where else in Ypsilauti. It had not come from any manufactured garment as its texture would have been different. Dr. F. K. Owen supplied the links which led to the placing of Hand's trousers and the tongs into the hands of Dr. Heneage Gibbs. He said Hand on Sunday morning looked as if he had been drunk all night. He looked pale and haggard. H. B. Adams, the secretary of the company, testified to Hand being discharged by the company for drunkenness. He had asked Adams to reinstate him but Adams told him he would not have any chance unless some machinery that others could not fix got out of repair. Undertaker Brown testified as to the condition of Pul vers body aud J. B. Colvin testified to discharging Hand. Charles Morgan testified to hearing Hand make threats against the company. Charles Russell and Samuel Champlin corroborated thistestimony. Zina Buck also corrodorated this. He was the officer who arrested Hand and was present when the bloody pants were changed. Hand said he could not explain the marks on the pants. He said they were the pants he wore the night before. Miss Anna Keegan testified that on the Friday before the murder Hand said ifhe went back to the mili he would get better wages. Wait until he fire extinguishers get out of order and they would pay him well. Mrs. Dauline White, who lived with Miss Keegan, testified to the same thing. Mrs. A nnaGilbert testified toHand's actions on the day after the murder. William Henninger, a bar-tender, estiüed that Hand drajnk seven or ight glasses of beer and left Nick lax's saloon about 10:15 o'clock. E Hayton testiüed that he heard ogs barking about the mili about 10:30 'clock. Mrs. J. Pulver and Allen Pulver also ;ave in some testiuiony. Benjamin Pulver passed the mili at nine o'clock nd saw lights in the knitting room. J. B. Colvin, vice-president of the ompany, said Hand had charge of the water system and uobody else knew nything about the system. James Eaton thought the marks on he window sill had been made within wenty-four hours of the time he saw hem, the day after the murder. Hand's oots fitted the marks on the window ill and the marks on the table. Deputysheriff Peterson testified that Hand said he didn't know what the marks on his pants were. Afterwards ie said they might be paint. The ext day he told the sheriff that he ïad helped somebody butcher a day or wo before. Hand told him that he was at home at ïiine o'clock on the night of the murder. Mrs. Hand told jim that Hand got home at nine o'lock the night of the muider. Aftervards she said it was half-past nine. Hand's oveicoat had red spots on. His wife said she guessed they were paint tains. Dr. Heneage Gibbes testiöed that here was blood and brains on Hand's pants. He could not swear positively hat it was human blood and brains. ?he brain substance on the pants and on the tongs were identical. He had examined tliem with the microscope. The blood had satunited the pauts. If a calí' s head were cut off, brain substauce would not be gotten upon the pants. Dr. Gibbes will resume his testimony this morning aud the opening for the defense will be made. The case may go to the jury this week, but it is likely to be prolonged into next week. Meantime the jury are enjoying comfortable quarters at the Cook -House, though they will be denied the privilege of reading this article in the Argus.