Press enter after choosing selection

Shot Two Officers

Shot Two Officers image
Parent Issue
Public Domain
OCR Text

Deputy Sheriffs Peterson, of this city, and Smith, of Ypsilanti, were shot by two men whom they were attempting to arrest in Ypsilanti yesterday, but happily were not dangerously wounded. The men were wanted for the burglary of the store of Bowdish & Matteson, on State street, this city. The burglary occurred very early Sunday morning, after the electric lights had gone out. The burglars entered the store through a cellar window and opening the front door, carried out shoes, hats, silk handkerchiefs, jewelry, shirts, collars, cuffs and mackintoshes, picking the best articles and leaving the cheaper behind". Their total haul amounted to about $400. They also took the horse and cutter of Tom E. Nickels. The loss was discovered about six' o'clock. Sheriff Brenner found the horse and cutter in Ypsilanti on Sunday, which located the thieves at that point. The horse had been turned loose under the evident belief that it would come back to Ann Arbor The Sheriff traced the horse by means of its peculiar sharped tracks to near the residence of a colored man named "Cy" Simpson on Prospect street. Yesterday, Sheriff Brenner and Deputy Sheriff Peterson took out a search warrant in Justice Beach's office to search this house, inviting Deputy Sheriffs Smith and Root, of Ypsilanti to accompany them. "Cy" Simpson, whose house the officers went to search, is the stepfather of three mulatto boys named Irving, Tom and VVill Jones, who have borne rather hard characters, Irving having done two years in prison for stealing flour from Sweet's store, in this city, and Tom, having been arrested several times. It was these boys who were suspected of the burglary. The officers separated in going to the house, Deputy Sheriffs Peterson and Root going up Grove street, while Sheriff Brenner, Deputy Sheriff Smith and Mr. Matteson, who went along to identify the goods, come down Grove street. As the first named officers neared the house, Tom Jones ran out of the house and jumped over the fence, Peterson and Root starting in pursuit. Root soon feil behind, but Peterson, throwing off hisovercoat, continued the chase,although unarmed. Jones took across lots towards the depot, Peterson in hot pursuit. He ran through a lumber yard,then towards the depot again and then down to the river. Peterson chased him along the river bank. He doubled and started for the depot again, Peterson heading him off. Down the river again he went, Peterson getting some bystanders to keep him from coming back. Peterson jumped into a milk wagon which drove rapidly down the road and enabled him to get ahead of Jones in that direction. Peterson then took to the river when [ones pulled out a revolver and Peterson being sixty or eighty feet away, cried out "Don't come to me, Pil shoot you," pointing the revolver squarely at the officer, who with inimitable nervewalked straight towards him. At close quarters Jones fired, the bullet striking Peterson in the left hand near the thumb and going clean through it. Peterson made a spring forward grabbing Jones with the right hand ! and the revolver with the left. Jones made a desperate effort to fire at Peterson again, the officer's wounded hand' alone saving him. They both feil on the ice and lay clinched for some minutes in a desperate struggle until some Ypsilantian ran up and struck the negro over the head with a club. He was ! then put in the Ypsilanti lock up. In the meantime Deputy Sheriff Smith was also having an encounter ' with Jones' br ther William. When the officers, wh were coming down Grove street, approached the house! from the rear, they saw Toni Jones jump over the fence. Bienner sent Smith after him. He wi-nt about a block when he saw Peterson in close pursuit and. stopped While standing there, a woman came out of a house and asked what was the matter. He told her, and she informed him that a trunk had been taken away on a dray from Simpson's house about ten minutes before. Smith went back and told the sheriff, who told him to watch the house, while he took his horse and got the trunk. After the sheriff had gone Smith and Matteson kept watch of the house. William Jones, who had been splitting wood, came around and spoke to Matteson. He hadn't done anything, he said, and they couldn't arrest him and he was going down town. Smith stepped up and said he was going down town too. Together they walked off until they came to Gilbert's crossing, when Will Jones pulled out his revolver. Smith was unarmed and says "I didn't have anything to defend myself with,and I started to get out of the way." This didn't satisfy Jones, who fired at him three times. One bullet missed, another struck Smith in the back near the left shoulder, glancing downward towards the armpit, the other bullet struck hirn in the center of the back, penetrating the heavy overcoat and striking his suspenders where they crossed each other, hut not entering the flesh. It left a lived red mark, however, Smith went up town alone, while Jones put out and was soon' lost to view. When last een he was running rapidily east on Cross street. Meantime the sheriff notified the other deputies and citizens and procuring a Winchester started in pursuit of William Jones. He caught sight of a colored man behind a barn, who put off at full speed across lots. After long chase, Brenner, who was encumbered by a heavy overcoat, gave the gun to a citizen running in his shirt sleeves and told him to shoot him. The citizen followed up the fleeing man and finally fired at him, when he threw up his hands. When they reached him, they found it was not William bu.t Irving Jones, who was put under arrest on his own account. Sheriff Brenner found the trunk which had been taken from the house at the American Express office, directed to "Ed Smith, 435 Clark streui, Chicago, 111." Ed Smith is a colored man formerly from Ann Arbor where he was known as "Rip" Smith, and the locality to which the trunk was addressed is in the colored sporting part of Chicago. The trunk was replevied, through Justice Bogardus, and when opened was found to be loaded with the stolen plunder. Many more were found in Simpson's house. While the Argus reporter, who had accompanied Deputy Sheriffs McCabe and Brenner to Vpsilanti, was in the justice's office, Mr. Dusbiber, a Ypsilanti butcher, put in appearance after a search warrant. "I had twenty hams stolen last week and they are up at Simpson's house. There are lots of hams there and they are said to look like mine. The Jones's bought meat of me until about a week ago, when they quit." The hams were recovered last evening. Deputy Sheriffs McCabe and Peterson brought Torn and Irving Jones to this city last evening. Sheriff Brenner drove to Plymouth in which direction William Jones was seen fleeing. But his trip was fruitless. About half past seven last night a conductor on the railroad reported seeing him along the railroad track two miles east of Ypsilanti. He is marked with a heavy scar on the neck and it is believed will be soon captnred. While the sheriff was out, soarious citizens were out gunning for Jones with rifles and shof guns. It is feared that Mr. Peterson will lose his thumb, although the doctors are trying to save it. The revolver was a 38 calibre Smith & Wesson. Three doctors probed the wound in Mr. Smith's shoulder, which was made with a 32 calibre revolver, but were unable to extract the bullet. Smith, however, continued on the street for some hours.


Ann Arbor Argus
Old News