Press enter after choosing selection

Cornell Disgraced

Cornell Disgraced image
Parent Issue
Public Domain
OCR Text

lCxperience keeps a dear school, but Cornell can learn in none other. This conclusión may be drawn frorn the reports of the freshman ban - quet or rather "melee" which was held Tuesday night. The particulars of the "fun" as it is called, as near as can be learned, are as follows: The banquet was spread in the large hall iormerly occupied by the .Masonic fraternities. At 9 o'clock the freshmen were to meet on the hill and march down to the banquet hall. Tioga street was well filled with students long befor 9 o'clock, waiting for the coming freshmen, ready to pounce upon them and spoil their banquet. The whole of the Ithaca pólice forcé was on hand to quell any serious trouble. About ten o'clock the freshmen reached Tioga street. Then a "rush," as they called it, began, but in reality it was nothing less than a free fight. The freshmen surged toward the door leading up to the hall and were attacked from all sides. Faces were punched, hats smashed, and a general melee resulted in which the officers were tossed about like chaff. The "rush" was only ended when the last freshman was safely in the hall. Thingswent along smoothly enough until about 11 o'clock, when a sensation was discovered. First appeared a colored woman, led by two men. She was fainting and apparently nearly dead. She was taken to a doctor's office, and means taken to resuscitate her. But all attempts proved of no avail, and a few moments after 11 o'clock she died. Soon after she was led out of the building a number of students were carried out. The efforts to revive them proved more successful, and they recovered sufficiently to be taken home and put under care of physicians. A vigorous investigation as to the cause of the trouble showed that someone had entered the room underneath the kitchen and bored two holes in the ceiling above. On the table stood a large jugcorked. In the cork were two rubber tubes, which ran nearly up to the ceiling where they connected with two glass tubes. These ran through the holes in the floor, thus liberating in the room above the gas generated from the jug, which was found to be chlorine, a mixture of salt and sulphuricacid. There was, however, no clue to the party who had been guilty of this dastardly piece of business. A rigid investigation is being made and if the culprit is found he will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.


Ann Arbor Argus
Old News