Horace Carpenter, one of the pioneers of the county, died at his home on Washtenaw avenue last Tuesday afternoon. The funeral was held yesterday afternoon. The following sketch of his life is taken from the Washtenaw Biographical Album: Horace Carpenter, one of the venerable and venerated residents of Ann Arbor, whose life has been spent in doing good to othcrs and in upholding the rights of all, was bom in Locke, Cayuga county, N. Y., December i, 1805. His parents, Ezra and Lucy (Peren) Carpenter, were natives of Massachusetts, the father being born in Attlebury and being a son of Ezra Carpenter, sr., who was one of the héroes of the Revolutionary war. The father of our subject was also one of the defenders of his country and served during the war of 1812 as a soldier. He was also a surveyor, and his compass, which was made in 1790, in now preserved in the University of Michigan by Professor Davis, of the surveying department. It was in 1798 that the parents of our subject were united in marriage, and began married lifein Massachusetts. Subsequently, in T803, they removed to the wilds of New York. Then being seized with the western fever, they determined to come to Michigan, making the journey in the spring of 1826, and landing May 12 at Detroit. The son, Horace, accompanied his father on his journeyings about, and they were so" well pleased with the beautiful timber land which they found in Washtenaw county, that they determined to make this theirhome. They settled in Pittsfield township and at once proceeded to erect a log house. The eider Mr. Carpenter was a sur veyor in New York, but gave all his instruments to his son Horace, who often made use of them. Hordes of Indians roamed through the woods, and the lad well remembers his friendly intercourse with them. The father procurred 240 acres of land, which he cleared and began cultivating. He was an earnest and conscieotious raember of the First Presbyterian church of Ann Arborand was soon elected eider, which office he faithfully discharged until the autumn of 1829, when he removed his church relationship to the new church at Ypsilanti, where he gare his services faithfully toits uplifting until his death, February 17, 1847. He was a man of true benevolence, and faithful and earnest Christian spirit, and his loss was sadly mourned throughout "fair Washtenaw." His wife had preceded him to the spirit world in 1837, leaving four sons and four daughters to mourn her loss, half of whom have now followed her to the other world. The brothers and sisters of our subject were Lyman, a physician, who died in California; Esther, widow of Andrew Coryell, now residing in Ridgeway, Lenawee county, and although in her ninetieth year, is full of activity and usefulness; Justus died in Minnesota in his seventyeighth year, Sarah died wheu a young lady; Harriet M. died in 1842; Ezra, now a resident of Kalamazoo, is general manager for the Cahill & Co. 's factory for the manufacture of agricultural implements. Horace Carpenter passed his youth in Locke, N. Y., and received his schooling under the supervisión of Mr. Cobb, the author of Cobb's spelling book, which was, next to Webster's, a standard work in the old days. Upon reaching his majority he was united in marriage with Miss Celia Bradley, of his native town, a daughter of Philo Brakley. This was the year when the young man tried the wilderness of the west with his father and decided to settle upon a farm, and follow the carpenter's trade, which he had learned in New York. He put up the first building that was erected in the village of Saline, and also a large barn for Luther Boyden, in Webster township, following carpentering for about 15 years. In 1862 he was elected treasurer of Washtenaw county, serving one term, which consisted of two years and three months. After retiring from this positiou Mr. Carpenter bought a half Ínterin 3,000 acres of pine lands, which he subsequently sold before their rise in value, and thus "escaped," as some of his friends have said, being a very rich man through their great value, which was soon developed. Mrs. Celia Carpenter died in 1878, and the second marriage of our subject occurred in 1879, when he was united on the first of October with Mrs. Ann A. Stephens, the widow of Oscar C. Stephens, of Lodi township. She was born in Geneva, N. Y., and emigrated to this county at an early day. She is a most estimable lady, and one well fitted to be the helpmete of this worthy and honorable citizen. The grounds upon which the home of Mr. Carpenter is situated, comprise three acres on Washtenaw avenue, and in that home is found true happiness, because it is the abode of those whose lives have been pure, and true, and who have spent their days in acts of justice and kindness to others. Mr. Carpenter was a member of the Free Soil party in early times and allowed his name to be used as their candidate for sheriff when onljr six persons voted that ticket in Washtenaw county. For many years he was supervisor, and in 1862 was elected county treasurer. At that time he removed to Ann Arbor, which has since been his home. He was ever a firm believerin anti-slarery doctrine, and did much in building up public sentiment in favor of the abolition of that great evil. He was at one time candidate for senator on the whig ticket. On the organization of the republican party he joined hands with those leaders and has cast his vote, wiih them, having helped to elect both the Presidents Harrison. In connection with Mr. Kenney he founded the VVashtenaw County Mutual Insurance company; he is a life member of the county agricultural society and was its president for three years. The Pioneer society of Washtenaw county owe much to Mr. Carpenter, who is a member of the historical committee. He was the first captain of state militia in Pittsfield township, this county. His company was three times called out during the Toledo war, and he had command of his regiment for a time.