Press enter after choosing selection

University Notes

University Notes image
Parent Issue
Day
25
Month
September
Year
1896
Copyright
Public Domain
OCR Text

The priuted constitution and membersbip list of the University of Michigau Assoiation of Detroit is out. The list shows 170 members. The uuiversity authorities have recognized the bicyole by placing a nrnn'oer of large stands convenieut to the entranoes of the priDoipal buildings for the benefit of the wheelmeu. Mrs. Penfield, chief nurse at the univereity hospital has resigued, Mrs. Anna R. Harrison, oue of the first nurses to gradúate from the training school for nurses, has been appointed iu her stead. A span of horses is to be purchased by the order of the buard of regents, at a cost uot to exceed 350 to do work about the campus. A stable for them will be erected between the engineering building and the mechauical laboratory. "Jim' Robinson, formerly with Manhattan Athletio club, of New York city, has formally aocepted the position'of trainer for the Oniversity of Michigan football eleven and leaves Saratoga for Michigan, Sept. 28. He will remain witb. the team for eight weeks. 3. R. Alleu, a recent gradúate of the university, has been appointed instructor iu ruechanical engineering in Prof. Wagner's place at a salary of $800. Auother instructor not yet named has also been decided upon, the combined salaries of the two to equal tbat of Prof. Waguer. Charles E. Marshall, assistant and dispensing clerk in the hygienio laboratory, has resigned his position to accept one in the Agricultural college, Lansing, at $1,000 per year. Mr. VVait, of the pbysiological laboratory will take hia plaoe, and Mr. Bliss, a recent grad nate of Cornell univeisity, will take Mr. Wait's position. Walter Dentón Smith, aged 25, instructor in law in the law department, died Sunday night at Galesburg, Mich., his old home, wbere he was speuding his vacatiou. Although still a young man Mr. Smith had acheived considerable distinction and his loss will be sincerely feit. He graduated from the Galesburg high school in 188?, and entered the law department two years later, remainiug oue year, subsequently completing his studies and entering upou the practice of law in Detroit. He was prominent atnong the founders of the Detroit College of Law and was ifcs first secretary. At his death he was a director and a prominent stockholder. Iu 1894 he was appointed instructor in the law departiiiHiit of the university, holding the appoiutment at the time of his death -

Article

Subjects
Ann Arbor Argus
Old News