Press enter after choosing selection

Suicide Is Identified

Suicide Is Identified image
Parent Issue
Public Domain
OCR Text

Chicago, Xov. 23.- Horrified with the fear that is now confirmed that the disappearance in disgrace of Charles M. Charnley, short some $60.000 of the funds intrusted to him as treasurer of the Presbyterian Aid for Colleges, was to have added to it the suicide of the son. James Charnley, Jr., the family of James Charnley, 99 Astor street, found no sleep during' the night. When the telegram from Douglass Charnley was received saying that he had identified as his cousin the body of the young man who had ended his life at Milwaukee in the Pflster hotel, heavy-hearted the family sought some rest. The sister and brother of the young man, both of whom are out of the city, were not notified at once of the aecond disaster that had come to them. The brother, Charles, is in New York, and the sister, Miss Constance, is at Smith college. Dougless Charnley, it is expected, wil! arrive on an early train with the body of young Charnley, who, with a revolver bullet and morphine, had ended his life, it is thought, through chagrín at his father's default. Comes with Crushing Weijrht. This second ehapter in the family's sorrow comes with a crushing weight, as he had assumed the place at the head of the family which his father had so recently left vacant. During the days when the story of Charles M. Charnley's shortage was exploited in the papers, and ever since, young Charnley had remained in this city and borne the brunt of the recrimination, notoriety and disgrace. For months previous to his father's disappearance, it is said, the impending disaster, which had hung like Damoeles' sword, by a single thread likely at any time to be broken, was known to the young man. His usually serious demeanor grew to unchanging gravity, and very flitting were the smile8 that appeared on. his finely chiseled features. It is said that for some time he had been 111. Since the disappearance of his father, which eaused the breaking up of the home on Schiller street, James Charnley, Jr., had lived with his uncle of the same name in the handsome residence at 99 Astor street. Spirits Appeared to Revive. Employment had been secured for him and he was soon to have left for the south, it is said, to look after property of the firm. His spirits had appeared to revive. On last Saturday he went downtown, ostensibly for a dinner, but did not return, and the family, alarmed, on Sunday began a quiet search without aid of the pólice. Nothing, however, had been learned of his whereabouts. Being told of the suicide Df a young man at Milwaukee Saturday night, the description tallied so closely with that of the missing young man. and this was so strongly eorroborated by the fact that the shoes of the suicide were marked "J. M. Douglass," that it was believed that little was laeking to prove the truth of the fear that young Charnley had committed suicide. Shoes belonging to his uncle, J. M. Douglass, who is now in Switzerland. were found missing. Douglass Charnley left at once on a fast train for Milwaukee, and within a few hours the message came confirming the terrible fact of his cousin's death. IDEJíTIFYING THE REMAINS. tt Xook a Chicago Newspaper Reporter to Unravel the Mystery. Milwaukee, Nov. 23. - The identity of the young man who carne to Milwaukee last Saturday night and registered at the Hotel Pflster as J. P. Morris, Madison, Wis., and who later committed suicide by firing a bullet through his right temple after taking a deadly dose of morphine, has been established as James Charnley, Jr., of Chicago. The identity of the suicide was brought about in a singular manner. There was apparently nothir.g to show who the dead man was. He had emptied his pockets of averything which might give some clevv and all that remained for the pólice to work on was a handkercheif with the initial "T. S." and a gold band ring on one of his fingers, engraved with the words "Easter Sunday." It was also discovered that all the clothing he wore vvas purchased in Chicago, but there were no rnarka that would give the slightest clew. Hundreds of people viewed the remains, but all failed of recognizing them. A newspaper reporter from Chicago, who was in the city, visited the morgue and with the deputy coroner made a thorough examination Df the clothing. The discovery was made of the name "J. Douglas, Chicago," in the suicide's shoes. The reporter, on returning to Chicago, looked up the name in the city directory and found that "J. Douglas" lived at 99 Astor street. On arrlving at the Astor street house he was met by Douglas Charnley, a cousn of the suïcide, who informed him that J. Douglas was his únele, but that he was in Europe, and consequently could have no connection with the Milwaukee mystery. During their conversation the thought struck Charnley that his coupn had been wearing a pair of his uncle's shoes and immediately light was thrown on the mystery.


Ann Arbor Argus
Old News