Iu view of the present capaeity of the Ann Arbor Water Co's plant the folowing extract from the introduction to he Aun Arbor City Directory of 1872, pnblished by James M. Cole "and John. W. Keatiug will be of interest: "A loug needed want of a better proteotion against fires, has oansed surveys to be made by the city, of the feasibility of appropriating the waters of three considerable lakes about one aud a half miles west of the oity limits. The elevatiou is abont 71 feet above the leve! of Huron st., at the janction of Main. The cost of this work is estiruated at $100,000 and the volume of water daily for use of the city equal to about 540,000 gallons." Today the ainount of water would Dot supply the city for eight hours. For the last five days the Water Co. has been pumping 2,250,000 gallons per dav of the aqueous fluid. Comment is unneoes8ary.