Press enter after choosing selection

B. Kirk Was Killed

B. Kirk Was Killed image
Parent Issue
Public Domain
OCR Text

Bernard Kirk, the street commissioner of Ypsilanti and father of the prosecutiug attorney, was instantly killed at 2 :45 o'clock Saturday He was watchiiig some workingrnen at the power house in Ypsilanti of the Detroit, Ypsilanti and Ann Arbor electric line, wllo were removing the shd over a pile of bricks adjoining the power house. They had loosened the supports, when a gust of wind got under the roof and blew it over npon Mr. Kirk, crushing him down upon a pile of „brick and breaking 'his neck. Death was instantaneous. Bernard Kirk was about 60 years of age and had resided in this county for abont 45 years, haivng been a resident of Ypsilanti for 35 years. He was a carriage maker by trade and was an upright, industrious and kind hearted man. He had been prominent in Ypsilanti politics and was at one time a leasing candidate for register of deeds. At the time of his death he was street commissiouer. His sou, Major John P. Kirk, the present prosecnting attornoy, is with the Slsfc Michigan at Savannah, his resignation not vet having been accepted. The accident has cast a glooni upon Ypsilauti, where everyone knew and liked the popular street commissioner. The inquest over the body of the late Bernard Kirk, in Ypsilanti, develops quite a little legal strife m fixing the responsibility for the sad accident which deprived Ypsilanti 's popular street commissioner of his life. Coroner B. F. Watts took the testimony of 11 wituesses yesterday afternoon and the case was adjonrued vmtil this afternoon when further testimony will oe taken. E. P. Goodrich acted as stenpgrapher and the testimony was put in rapidly. Mr. Kirk had been standing on the walk, at the point where he was killed but two or three minutes. He was talking with Isaac Worden who left him to walk up town. When Worden had got about 35 feet away from him he heard a crash and turning fonnd that Kirk was uuder the shed. One witness, a colored man said he was struek by a 4 by 4 scantling. Another witness thought he was struek by a 2 by 6. The roof covered him completely and it took several men to lift the roof from his body. There were four boards loose at the west end of the stringer which lay upon Kirk's body. Dr. Huil testified that death was caused by i fracture of the sknll just back of the left ear. The electric cornpauy strove to show that the shed had been substantially put up. Oue witness claim ed to have been at various times on top of it pulling a guy rope. As near as we conld learn the brick had flrst been piled on the outside of the sidewlk. Then to protect it from the suow a roof had been made over it and resting upon the piles of brick by laying stringers, varionsly described as to size as 4 by 4, 2 by 6 and 2 by 8, parallel with the walk and along the bricks. Then boards were laid over these and nailed down. As the bricks were taken out, 4 inch scantlings were placed under the roof, with a spike nailed in the top and toe nailed at the bottom. All the brick had "been removed at this point except about seven feet at the west end. One witness was producer! who swore to inaking a reinark at the time that it was a very windy day. The witnesses examined yesterday were Isaac Worden, Newton Lyons, Dr. Huil, William Riley, William Jones, James Kinne, Burton Gavin. William Troy, Daniel Dillworth, Fred Cntter and Stephen Dillworth. The testimony this after1 noon it is thought, wonld go into the ! question of whether the electric line or i a coutractor was responsible for the j erectiou of the shed. Mr. Kirk's three sous were all iii ! the Sist .Michigan and arrived home last night on a 7 days' leave of abeuce. They are Major John P. Kirk, Mat ' Kirk and Frank E. Kirk. He also lef! ' one daughter, Miss Mamie Kirk.