Press enter after choosing selection

Mrs. Stafford's Loss

Mrs. Stafford's Loss image
Parent Issue
Day
17
Month
February
Year
1899
Copyright
Public Domain
OCR Text

Ann Arbor had a señeras fire Friday iiight which resulted in the destructión of the honse of Mrs. Ella R. Stafford, widow of the late James M. Stafford, No. 8012 N. State st. The members of the Aun Arbor fire department again distingnished themselves by one of the tonghest fights that they have had in inany a year. That they did splendid work, the remains of the honse distinctly shows. A telephone message was sent in to the engine house at 7 :15 o'clock p. m. Five minutes later the department was on the gronnd. The extreme cold, four degrees below zero made the work very difficult. The irst hose connection was made with the hydrant corner of Ann and State sts., and another one further north. When the men reached the building it seemed to be all afire. Owing to the ",old, and the moderate water pressure n this part of the city, much difflculty was found iu getting a sufficient amount of water. Ifc almost froze in he hose before it came out. The lydrante were in good order, but that could not prevent the troubles of cold and want of pressure. The fire eemed to start in the northwest corner of the second floor. Much of the furnture was moved to the old Olancy ïomestead adjoining, which was vacant. Of fchat saved much was damaged and wet. There were six roomers in the ïouse who had to make a lively hustle o save their belongings. They were 3aul Moses, Milton Hartman, Arthur jindlau, Arthur Loeb and Milton livingston. Mrs. Stafford and her ive children took refuge with the neighbors who kindly took them in. iMreman Henry McLaren, feil through a hole in the floor under the roof to he first floor. This morning he claims not to have received any serions njury. Actiug Chief Edwards had such a cold that his friends apprehended in attack of pneumonía. The other men had numeróos f rost bites and were wet down to the skin. They all worked like Trojans. They did not get back to the enigno house nntil af ter 8 o.'clook this morning. The spectators of the lire unite in saying the firernen worked nobly and -werü a credit ta our city. In the moruing npon examination the origin of the flre was discovered. It started back of the parlor grate and ran up into the garret where the lire spread, everything being in full blaze bef ore it was discovered. The insurance carried by Mrs, Stafford was $2,000 on the building and $1,(500 ou furniture. How badly the house is damaged cannot be deflnitely stated until after a survey has been made by a carpenter. It is believed that the insurance will cover the loss, except as to those articles that have a valué in themselves that money cannot replace.