Press enter after choosing selection

A Golden Wedding

A Golden Wedding image
Parent Issue
Day
31
Month
March
Year
1899
Copyright
Public Domain
OCR Text

Mr. and Mrs. C. C. Chureh, No. 520 S. Seveuth st. , today celebrated their golden weddiug. From 2 to 6 o'clock a reception was held. Among the guests that called to express tbeir good wishes t'or the health and happinfiss of the venerable cotple, were Rev. Henry Tatlock and Rev. B. L. McElroy. W. D. Chnrch, of Detroit, with Parke, Davis & Oo., accompauied by his wife and five children also speut the day here. Elegant cake and wine were served. The cake consisten of 10 varieties all rnade by the aged brides own hands. The callers all expressed the best wishes for the continned health and happiness of the coup le. Charles C. Chnrch, was the son of W C. Chnrch and bom Feb. 18, 1824, at Avon, N. Y. With his parents he remove to Washtenaw county in 1832, settling in the township of Salera. Mrs. üeborah Chnrch, was the daughter of Ebenezar Green and born at Penfteld near Rochester, N. Y., Jan. 18, 1826. She with her parents removed to Salein, Washtenaw county in 1849. Charles and JDeborah attended the saine log school and they early regardedeach other with favor. This npened into love and Mar. 25, 1849, they were united in niarriage, Rev. Adam Minnis officiatiug. The young couple took a half days' outing with a horse and buggy which coustituted their wedding trip. They went to house keeping in a modest log house within sight of the school house where they had been taught not only to read and write, but had aiso learned to love each other. Alter three years of happiness in the log cabin they moved to Northville where Mr Church eutered into partnership with his father in the grocery and blacksmith business Later they sold out and both purchased land on S. State st. and built homes. In 1861 they sold out and moved to Chicago where they established a large mili piek business. After thiee years Charles C. Chnrch returned to Ann Arbor and bought a brick house on S. Univesrity ave. They lived there uutil seven years ago when they removed to tiu'ir present home ou S. Seven th st. Mr. and Mrs. Church have been the pareuts of five children of whom only one eurvives. When they lived on S. University ave. they passed through a peculiarly sad experience in that their beautiful l'our year old baby boy drank by mistake some poison Cyanide of potasium which produced instant death. During the last 50 years of their lives Mr. and Mrs. Church have traveled very considerably. They visited the eeuteunial iu Philadelphia. ín 1381 they visited Eugland to look up Mrs. Ohurch's interests as one of the heirs in the Chase Townly estáte estimated to lie worth $250,000,000. While they were iu Eulgand the news came of President Garfield's assassination. Mr. and Mis. Chnrch were remerubered by ruany frieuds with beautiful aud oostly silver and gold spoons, six dishes, hair ornaments and a gold headed cane for Mr. Church. Some of the presents came trom Graud Rapids frieuds. Mr. and Mrs. Chnrch have niany relies of the oíd times. Mrs. Church's father, old Squire Green was a chíiin maker. He made a dozen substantial chains for his daughter, whicb she bas today. They are colonial style, therefore just iu fashion. The chief articles used on their table in the old log cabiu consisting of heavy plates, an antique tea pot and a pepper box of big size. Mrs. Churuh nas also in a veil preserved condition her wedding slippers, whicb show tbat sbe bad a very small, tiny foot. Her husbaud says with a twinkle in bis eye, that wheu be married bis wife be could span his wife's waist witb bis two hands, today he could not with a dozen hands. Mrs. Church likes to refer back to their happy days in Salem. Their large circle of friends will unitfe with tne Argus' best wishes and congratulations