Press enter after choosing selection

He Turned On The Gas

He Turned On The Gas image
Parent Issue
Public Domain
OCR Text

Saturday afternoou business circles of Main st. vrere sbocked to learn of the suicide of Albert A. Marshall, the proprietor of the Sugar Bowl, No. 206 S. Main st. He did Dot come down stairs at the dood hour as was his usual custom which aroused suspiciou. James Gbapman, the jeweler went up to the third floor where Mr. Marshall makes hi.s caudy and tried the door, which he fouud locked. He called in Patrolman George Isbell who also tried the door. He looked in over the transom and saw Marshall lying extended on his candy bench. Ofh'cer Isbell got a large bread knife aud by forcing the door was slip the blade in aud cut a towel that held the door from opening. Marshall had been most iugenious in planing his deatb. He had taken the rubber gas tube used for his gas stove and wouml it around his neck and placed the eud iuto nis month. Over this with a hole cue throngh which the tube passed he place a towel which he tied around his head. His deatb had been perfeetly pcaceful, the position of his hands and legs giving no indication of auy struggle. Corouer B. t'. Watts aud Funeral Director Martin were immediately notified. Coroner Watts empaneled the following jury: John R. AJiner, James R. Bach, L. C. Goodrich, John Gillen, George Isbell and Jassper Imus. After being sworn the inquest was adjourned until Monday rnoruing at 9 o'clock, at the rooms of Funeral Director O. M. Martin. In the meantime the body vas placed in the morgue at Mr. Martin's. Lying in Marshall's bank book with other letters and papers was an addressed letter to his mother Mrs. C. Marshall care of W. S. Lindsley, 215 Main st. , Marlboro, Mass. The letter bas been mailed unopened. Anofher paper contaimng thefollowiug was also fonnd : "All orders that I have placed for goods are to be countermanded (or goods returned) outside of these goode and what I owe Thorp & Hawley, of Detroit, there are only a few small bilis and Mr. Chapman for rent of store. My lease does not expire until Sopt. 24, whether he wants to liold me to this agreement or not remains for him to decide. All my personal belongiDgs are to be sent to my mother Mrs. C. Marshall, Marlboro, Mass. Also all that is leit after my bilis are pairl. My last reques.t is to bc buried by the si 'ie of my dear wife at Marlboro, Mass." Mr. Marshall opened his store last September. He was an expert candy maker. He was about 27 years oíd. ! He was of quiet disposition and made few acquaiutauces. He at times compained of feehug quite blue. From wbat he told his few acquaintances he has snffered several business relapse iu his life. At one time he lost f 500 through a partner whioh he had to make up by workiug by the day. His wife died three years ago. From the letters found of his brother, there mus have existed a very affectionate feeh'ng in the family. Those that knevv Mr. Marshall held biin in great respect. He is beheved to have been a Baptist, although he occasionally attended the Methodist church. Coroner Watts telegraphed W. L. Lindsley the brotfaer-in-law of Mr. Marshall. The custom of Mr. Marshall 'ivas to spend the day in his candy kitchen. Duriug the uoon hour he would come down into the store to relieve his clerk Miss Lizzie SehafiEer. His not coming down was what aroused suspicion. jHe was last seen alive iu the moruing wheu he went to work. He boarded with a Mrs. Brown on N. Main st. The coroners jnty in the matter of the death of Albert A. Marshall met Monday morning at the rooms of Funeral Director O. M. Martin. The jury which consisted of John R. Miner James R. Bach, L. C. Goodrich John Gillen, George Isbell and Jasper Iimis after hearing the testimony rendered the followiug verdict: That Albert A. Marshall carne to his death by inhaling illuminating gas and that said death was caused by his own hand at his oandy kitcheu on tne third floor of No. üO6 S. Main st. , Ann Arbor, Michigan, between tüe hour of 12 m. and 2 p. m., Saturday, April 15, 1899. Mr. Chapman testifled that on Friday evening he had been Marshall write. He thought the letters found were then written. He and Miss Schaffer the clerk identifled the haudwriting of a paper whioh was filed in the case. Officer Isbell stated he found the paper in a coat hauging up in the kitchen. The writing was on one side and was as follows: "Ann Arbor, April 14, '99. "My Dear mother and sisters and all. - I do not wish to cause any of you pain, but I have suffered for years with iiead. God alone only krtows what I have and do suffer taking this in connection with the loss of my dear wife and home and the uphill work I have had trying to get a start in life. It is a weight that I can endure no longer. How hard I have fcried but all in vain I fee). " . The paper was not signed. The other paper found Saturday was a letter to Marshall' mother and has been forwardect to her.