Fire Broke Out in the Third Floor
IS ALMOST A TOTAL LOSS
Stock Was Worth $40,000, Insurance $25,000
It was impossible to control the Blaze. "Football" Allen did some heroic work. Several were cut with glass. Corset works only damaged by smoke.
From Monday's Daily.
At about half past three, fire was discovered in the third floor of Mack & Co 's furniture store, corner of S. Main and Liberty sts. Immediately the fire department was on hand and several hundred willing hands who helped carry out the furniture on the first floor.
The damage done can not very well be estimated, but nothing was saved in the third floor and much was damaged in the second by water and smoke. The fire originated in the upholsters' room on the northwest corner of the third floor. In some way cotton battening caught fire and it spread with lightning speed. As soon as discovered one of the upholsterers rushed down stairs and had the clerk telephone the fire department which was promptly on hand. lt was some time before the flames showed themselves on the east side of the building. After the lines of hose were laid the trolley cars were stopped from running and transfers were made across. The intensity of the flames on the third story could be accounted for by knowing the large amount of furniture, oils and varnishes stored there. Four streams of water were poured on the building for a long time without apparent effect. The building is owned by William Aprill and cost some $25,000. It was built by John Keck and was one of the handsomest blocks in the city. The building was occupied by the Mack Furniture Co. which carried some $40,000 stock covered by $25,000 insurance.
Later - The fire is spreading into the Pratt block on the south. This is occupied by the Crescent Corset Works, and other tenants. Miss Fashbaugh, the miller, who is located on the first floor, as soon as the fire started ?acked her goods in cases and had them removed.
Among those who distinguished themselves for deeds of courage, were "Shorty Foot Ball" Allen a law student, and Charlie Thomas,colored, Mr. Allen worked on the second floor carrying the hose right into the center of the fire. Thomas carried the hose up the ladder and climbed into the third story window on two different occasions with as much abandon as if he was attending a cake walk. Both of the men received applause from the thousands of spectators. There were some injuries received by being cut with glass. Among these is Tony Schiappicasse, jr., whose face is said to have received a large portion of glass. The adjoining property owners were considerably agitated and kept he cornices of their buildings wet with water.
Main st. received the appearance of a second hand auction sale. The goods had to be moved several times which of course damaged them considerably.
All the hose of the department was in use and more was needed. The Ypsilanti fire department was called on and generously responded with a wagon filled with hose. It was brought to the city by a trolley car. In a jiffy the hose wagon was off the flat truck, and the hose in place doing good work.
There were seven lines of hose on three hydrants on Main st. between the Ann Arbor Savings Bank and William st. The water main stood the tax upon its capacity most excellently.
At the time of going to press the fire was fully under control.