Press enter after choosing selection

Historical Landmark

Historical Landmark image
Parent Issue
Day
26
Month
May
Year
1899
Copyright
Public Domain
OCR Text

The brick building on N. Main st. near Miller ave. , being torn down by Frank Pardon, is an old land mark and has quite a history. In these later years it was owned by Charles Kitsou, deceased, and used for many years as a saloon. It beoanae well known on account of the many gudden deaths which are charged to have occurred ;here. The building must have been Duilt nearly 60 years ago. It was then known as the Lyman block. It was once occupied by the Argus office. A. A. Terry in speaking of the old bnildng told of a little incident that took jlace at a fire. The building caught ïre in the second story. At that time VLt. Terry was visiting with his friend Randolph Rogers, afterwards the sculptor, who was clerking for Johu fettee, dealer in West ludia goode. When they heard the cry of fire they rushed around, Randolph Rogfrs climbed onto a beam that was in the ear of the building. Twomm hanrlpri up á big tub of water tbat was there. Vhen it reached the roof it Bomehow ilted over ponring toe water down npon the men. Rogers declared it was ■xn accident. Mr. Terry at this time was eropJoyed by the Michigan Central t a salary of $1.25 a day payabie in tate scrip which was worth abouí 25 ents op. the dollar. His dnties conisted of doing the leveling for bridge imbers and the strips on wbich the trap rails were laid. Mr. Terry exjlained that West India goods consiste d f pickled and bottled goods which were imported.