Press enter after choosing selection

Fought Bravely At Manila

Fought Bravely At Manila image
Parent Issue
Public Domain
OCR Text

During the recent war -with Spain Ann Arbor sent scmething like 170 of her men to the front. Some were eent to Cuba, and were among the first to leave for that country, and sinue then ehe also sent there oue of the best conipanies in the volunteer service, and which has, but recently returned. She sent her representativos in bine to Porto Rico anjl to the Philippines and among these "'bnt one one has died, Gilbert S. Perrine, who died of gickness. Bnt two were woundeá: Don Stark, wbose likeness is printed on our eighth page, who lost his arm in Cuba, and Francis G. Anspach, who was shot in the face in battle a Manila, and who is now conflned in the hospital at Corregidor, about 31 miles from Manila at the entrance to the bay, awaiting th8 timewhen hemay sail for home. Anspach left this city nearly two years ago at the close of the university going west to seek whatever dame Fortune placed in his way and while at Great Falls, Montana, he heard the first cali for volunteers to flght against Spain. Being patriotic and also of au adventnrous disposition and desirous of seeing more of this world, he ïmmediately offered himself to go to the Philippmes. He enlisted with Co. A. First Montana Voluuteers, and after a few days in that' city left with his company for SanjFraucisco. After spending over twomonths in the Golden City, his regiment received orders to prcceed to Manila aud on Jnly 19, 1898, they ernbarked ou the Transport Pennsylvania to the scène of actiou. Niue.days ont trom the Golden Gate saw hini at Honnlulu, where he was allowed oue day of recre. ation and after 36 days of hardship on a crowded trauspcrt he sailed into Manila Bay, Ang. 24, late in the afternoon. At dawn the nest day, they ■were lauded atCavite, vrhere his compauy went into camp. War in the Philippines at that time was almost nnknowo. Yet occasionally a skirmish with the insurgents was reported and there being nothing of a startling Eatore happening the boys began to despair, life in that hot and sultry climate grtjw to be monotonus with the same old dnll routine day af ter day, a drill of a few minutes mcrning and evening and it is uo wouder that the men were taken with a suelden longing to return to their homes. Time went slowly on without excitement nntil one day war came upon them with a vengeance and eaoh man had to hustle for himself. After seeing and coming in contact with the real article Frank changed his mind about returning to the states. Co. A. was brought into action and took a promnent part in all the battles fought by the First Montana and distingnished itself as second to none on the Islands. A bont the first of February Co. A was brought into action for the first time since their amval at Manila ana alter a running fight of some honrs dura t i on came out of the battle with one killed and several wonnded. This was the first real fighting Frank had seen and tbey piled the insurgente np three and fonr deep, whictowas hot a bad record for the first time on the firing line. ■ ■■ Af ter a day or two of fihtipe they proceeded toward Caloocan, where Oo. A. was entrenched and did some good work and killed many Filipinos. Anspach was placed on picket dnty on the arrival of his company and got in a shot at a Filipinos sharp shooter and stopped him from making a target out of one of Uncle Sam's volnnteers. In putting the insurgent out of the way, he was forced to retreat to the trenches on acrount of stirring them np too badly. From Caloocan hii company received orders to advance and was kept under fire for three days and nights before an opportunity was offered to rest. A few days Intrr. he with a sharp shooter of hts company, had (Feb. 24.) been sent out on a skirmish for iusurgents, and after nsing all their ammunitiou, he returned for more to his quarters and while sitting in front of his captain 's tent waiting for cartridges to be issued, a Filipinos sharp shooter was on the lookout for him. He had waited bnt a few moments wheu something struck him and when he came to, it was to ficd that he had been shot iu the left jaw. The bnllec struck him near the corner of his inouth tearing away all the teeth aud jaw bone. It went down his neck and came out at the right shoulder. He was placed in the hospital where he has since remained. It has been reported several times that Anspach was on his way home but a letter received here Saturday states thaf 1 e is yet in the hospital at Corregidor. He says iu his letter that the U. S. hospital ship "Relief" ie due to leave there in a week, his letter being written on April 15, eo he was able to leave on that ship he is now near or in Sau Francisco. He says in his last letter dated April 15, that he is improving but cannot use his jaws as the lower one is drawn sidewise, not striking the upper one aud makmg mastication an utter impossiiblity. The cavity where the teeth and bone were taken 'out lias pnshed downward drawing the two ends of tne jaw closer together. When he left this city he weighed about 160 pounds but since he was wounded his weight lias been rednced to nearly 100 pounds. He has been unable to eat other thau liqnid foods. However he expects to be more like nimself after a short time in San Franiseo, where he will perhaps reinain for some rnonths in order to have a silver píate made to replane the bone which was shot away. Mr. Aiispach is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Martin Anspach, of 519 Lawrence st. , and is well known among the peopie of this city. He was born in Wanseon, Ohiö,?27 years ago, and carne to Michigan in 1889. Later his parents carne to Aun Arbor to reside permanently. He is a gradúate of th3 Ann Arbor high school, graduating from that instifcution in 1895. He entered the law department the following year. He is a young man of moderate habitas, ambitions, and well liked by all who know him. His mauy friends will be snrprised to learn that he was still in the hospital, when last heard from and regret that his wound is of so serióos a nature.