The glorions Fourth was iudeed a ■great day at Ypsilanti. The Greek jity certainly did herself proud in its diamond celebration Tuesday. The principie streets had been beautifully decorated for the occasion and there was an abundant display of red, white and blue throughout the residence -portion of the city. There was a niagnificent aren across the main street, .abont the middle of the principal business block and another ot like pattern over the river ac the depot. The occasion was the 75th anniversary of the first celebration held in the city aud likewise the first celebration in the county. Before 9 o'clock the country for miles abont had emptied its populatioi into the city and the streets were packed with people. By the time the parade was ready to form thera were proba bly 10,000 on hand to witness it. Tbe parade was scheduled for 9 o'clock bnt did iiot rnake its appearaace until 10. It formed at the corner of Elhs and Adams sts. and passed down Maiu over the rivei', thence north to the depot then west on Cross to Huron and down Huron taking in the principal streets. It was a fine parade. It was led by the Rochestei Band which was followed by the G. A. R. veterans of Welch Post, Ann Arbor, and Carpenter Post, of Ypsilanti. Theu came C. E. Yost as marshal of the aay, followed by a trap in which was seated Mayor E. P. Allen, H. P. Glnver and Robert Hemphill. A tally ho loaded to its capacity followed with carriage3 containing ■ citizens. Then came the Flint Band. Following the band were more carri ages with citizens. Then carne a long line of the inosst ingenious floats. The Scharf, Tag and Box Co. had a very line float with a printing press running. The progress of the fire department from 1874 to 1899 was nicely illustrateci. First oame the old engine wsed in 1874, foilowed by an 1882 engine, then the modern apparatus of 1899 and the hook ana ladder. The lady Maccabees had a beautiful float in the line which was called the Queen City Hive. It was in the shape of the traditional bee hive with bees flying about. TTpon the platform with the hive stood a lady dressed in white. A little farther down the line came the Ypsilanti Band and Co. G, 31st Michigan Volunteers. Prospect Laundry had a fine float with tbe work going on. The Ypsilanti Poultry Assoriation had a fine exhibit of poultry in the parade. The Gas Co. float represented the ease with which pan cakes can be made on the gas stove. Wallace & Clark, O. E. Thompson & Sons, J. H. JMiller & Sons, McGregor, ithe baker, Ainsworth & Bachelder, Harding & Schaefer, Deubel Bros., Mack & Mack, Sampson,bicycle dealer, and practically every business house in the city were represented and the various floats showed much ingenuity on the part of the owners. One float represented the old time log cabin and was carried on two bicycles. Dewey's flag ship Olympia was also in line on a bicycle. A boy sat in the middle of the boat astride the wheel which propellod it and just behind the boy was a smoke stack out of which the smoke was rolling. This was followed by a similar boat labeled Ypsilanti and carried on a wheel. Behind these lode a typical Uncle Sam on a wheel. The parade was a great succees. After tbe parade had disbauded speeches were made from a stand erected at the corner of Congress and Adams sts. Mayor Alien presided. Congressmau Washington Gardner, of Albion, made the principal oration. He was followed by Congressman H. O. Smith, of this district,; Mayor Willard Stearns, of Adrián, and Rep. H. M. Cheever, of Detroit. A most interesting personage was introduced to the people by Mayor Allen iu the person f Mrs. Sarah Harwood Morse, of Leslie. Mrs. Morse attended the first celebration in 1824, of which the diamond celebration of yesterday is the 75th anniversary. The venerable woman notwitbstanding her extreme age still retains her mental vigor and capacity to enjoy such occasions as Tuesday. In spite of the bull-headedness of Sam Post, the chief owner of the Cueen Ann Soap Co., in uot allowing the citizens of Ypsilanti to use the Fair grounds, owned by him unless a large price would be paid, the athletic ieatures came off all right on the S. Adams st. commons. The aquatic sports took place at the Congruss st. bridge. A pnrse of abont $20 was made up for a yonng fellow named Hewitt, who dove off from the top of ithe bridge.