The first frame honse built ïu tiie ownship, was that by Jason Caldwell u 1830. He sold the farm to David Dixon. The house was painted red, nen yellow, frorn which fact it was calied the ''yellow tavern." Jarnes and Thomas Mitchell comrueuced building Samuel Clemeuts arge frame house iii the year 1830. The house is not now ocoupied, but still stands nu the premises in a good state of preservation. A man by the name of Garlick built the house tbat is now occupied by Hiram Pierce. It is located a few rocls west of the town line inSylvan. Hesekiah Riggs, the first blacksniith traded a span of horses with Samuel Olements in the year 1829 for the west half of the north quarter of section 25. Kufns Orossmau was the flrst merchaut to opeu a store in the Center in 1840 which af ter some years he sold out and moved to Pinckney. The. flrst tavern opened at trie Centre was a largo log house kept by John Harford in 1830. Curtis Hurd opened a log tavern oue and oue-half miles west of tbe Centre in 1831, which has been superceeded by a large frame house now occupied by Ralph Pierce. This was the principie tavern of tbe district for many years. There was a saw mili built by Shaw and Arnold as early as 1834. It has long siuce passed away hke the once flourishing village of Lima Centre.