Press enter after choosing selection

Found In The River

Found In The River image
Parent Issue
Public Domain
OCR Text



Body of a Man Found in The Huron




Although a Bystander Identified Him as Hayes, Worker on Saline Electric Line.


Thursday about 10:30 o'clock the body of a man was discovered in he race down at the Ypsilanti water works, lodged against the gate where it was prevented from being carried further by the current. It was discovered by Albert Thayer, the engineer, at the power house. News of the find was telephoned up town, and Constable Ross, Undertaker McElcheran and a number of others immediately repaired to the scene. The body was pulled out of the water and laid upon the floor inside the building. The remains were evidently those of a laborer and a man 50 years of age. He wore heavy, coarse shoes, brown overalls, a checkered shirt and a coat and vest badly worn. He wore a closely cropped, sandy beard and had a slight bald pot at the crown of his head. He was probably about five feet six inches in height and probably weighed about 140 pounds.


A young man by the name of C. P. Spencer thought he recognized him as one Michael Hayes, with whom he worked on the Saline electric road when it as being built. Spencer looked the body over carefully and examined the clothing and hat and was confident it was the man he had known as Hayes. Hayes drove a team for M. J. Griffin, the contractor of Detroit, and was, according to Spencer, a hard drinker.


The pockets were searched for evidence as to his identity. Two envelopes, one containing a letter, were found. They were both directed to Henry Cook Manchester, Mich. They had been forwarded from there to Grass Lake, and from Grass Lake to Ann Arbor. One was mailed from Moodus, Conn., and the other from Gem, Idaho. The one from Idaho contained a letter written on Sept. 9. It was received at Manchester on the 11th of October, forwarded to Grass, Lake and then to Ann Arbor, being received at Ann Arbor on Oct. 19. The letter was signed by J. J. Cook, who addressed Henry Cook as 'Dear Father." The letter contained an inquiry about Hayes, Cavanaugh and Daley, who are said to be contractors. There was nothing else found on the body by which it could be identified. There was no money upon the remains. It is thought that he may have fallen into the river while intoxicated. An inquest will be held this afternoon and in the meantime something more definite may be learned as to the man's identity. It is thought he had not been in the water more than 24 hours.


Later. - It has been discovered that the man found in the river was Henry Cook, an inmate-of the county house, who escaped yesterday.