Press enter after choosing selection

Ann Arbor Public Schools

Ann Arbor Public Schools image
Parent Issue
Day
7
Month
September
Year
1887
Copyright
Public Domain
OCR Text

The first school opened in this city was in the year 1825, the iwM vear r.llnwnijr iU settlement, in a building situated wherc Mr Duffy's toro now U,-opposite the present post oilico. History Klis us that Miss Monroe was the teacher, and a few rude boliches and n chair constituted the furnitiire. In 1830 the public' schools were orffanizcii here, and the high school building shown below (or one-linlf of it) was erected in 1833; to which the castern hall was added in 1871. Daniel B. Briggs was the first principal of schools in the new building. HeifU followed by U. W.