HIP POCKET LAWYER
KEEP THIS WITH YOU AT ALL TIMES IF YOU ARE STOPPED BY THE PÓLICE:
1 . You may remain silent. You must give your name and address, but you do not have to answer ANY other questions. ANYTHING you say may be used against you in court as evidence. Don't volunteer any information you don't want to hear used against you at a later date. Your best bet is to REFUSE TO MAKE ANY STATEMENTS TO THE POLICE other than your name and address.
2. The police may arrest you legally:
a. by serving you with an arrest warrant listing your name and the 'crime' you are charged with, or
b. if they have 'REASONABLE' grounds to believe you are committing or have committed a crime.
3. The police may legally search your person and an area within your immediate presence ONLY if they have arrested you or if they have a search warrant or arrest warrant. ASK TO SEE IT! Don't panic and give them reason to arrest you-then any search conducted by the police becomes legal.
4. The police must inform you of the offense with which you are charged, but frequently they will refuse to do so.
5. Whatever happens, you should not resist arrest even if you are innocent, or else you may be beaten and charged with 'assaulting a police officer,' or not beaten and charged with 'resisting arrest.' That is standard police procedure everywhere in Amerika.
6. Write down the arresting officers' badge numbers and names whenever possible. If you can't write it down try to memorize whatever information about them you can obtain and report the incident to LEGAL SELF-DEFENSE, 1510 Hill, Ann Arbor 48104. Write up your own report or visit the LSD office and make a tape. If you can't come in call LSD at 769-201 7 and give your report over the phone.
IF YOU NEED A LAWYER CALL LEGAL SELF-DEFENSE, 769-2017
IF YOU NEED A BONDSMAN CALL 484-0020
SPONSORS: LEGAL SELF-DEFENSE, ANN ARBOR ARGUS, NATIONAL LAWYERS GUILD, AND THE WHITE PANTHER PARTY