Press enter after choosing selection

Boom Power!

Boom Power! image
Parent Issue
Month
October
Year
1970
OCR Text

WASHINGTON (LNS)- "Terrorist acts of violence and anarchy by bombing have reached menacing proportions in our country," according to a report by the Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms DivisiĆ³n of the U.S. Department of the Treasury An official study of the 15-month period from January 1969 to April 1970 showed that there were 4,3330 actual oombings in the U.S., plus an additional 1,475 attempted bombings and a reported 35,129 threatened bombings. Of the 4,330 actual tx-jnbings 3,355 were incendiar in nature (such as molotov cockatails) and 975 were explosive. Bombings took place in every state in the Union, according to the survey. Illinois led the way with 655 bombings (29explosiveand626 incendiary), followed by California, with 467 bombings 109 explosive and 358 incendiary). Other states with more than 100 bombings were Washington Florida, North Carolina, Iowa Missouri, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York and Rhode Island. Law of ficers were unable to determine anything about those responsible for bombings in 64 percent of the cases. In the remaining 36 percent where the "perpetrators" could be categorized, the breakdown went like this : 56 percent to campus disturbances, 19 percent to "black extremists", 14 percent to "white extremists", 2 percent to labor disputes, I percent to attacks on religious institutions, 8 percent "in aid of criminal activities (extortion, robbery and arson for insurance)."