James and Clarice Foster's House of Art was next to their home at 215 South State Street. Look up under the awning to see the gift shop's art glass windows, designed in 1913 by UM architecture dean Emil Lorch. After James's death in 1949, Clarice established a private charitable foundation. Understanding the importance of leveraging funds to attract other contributions, she left the entire principal to help establish the Ann Arbor Area Community Foundation.
Rights Held By
Image Courtesy of the Washtenaw County Historical Society
Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)