Press enter after choosing selection

William E. Brown, Jr.

William E. Brown, Jr. image

Energetic and engaging businessman William E. Brown, Jr. was first elected mayor in 1945. Vowing to "run the town like a business," Brown worked tirelessly, doubling the size of the city to encourage new housing and "clean" industries. He solved downtown's growing parking problem by introducing parking meters that then helped pay for the country's first municipal parking structure—still standing at First and Washington.

Mayor Brown was re-elected five times, by ever-increasing majorities.

Rights Held By
Image Courtesy of the Washtenaw County Historical Society