The earliest known picture of the Observatory, circa 1858. The man is probably first director Franz Brunnow with his father-in-law's dog, Leo.
Read more in The Detroit Observatory by Grace Shackman, Ann Arbor Streets: University of Michigan Campus, 1907, and 1308 East Ann Street by Marjorie Reade and Susan Wineberg.
Image courtesy of Bentley Historical Library.
Bentley Image Bank: BL001680