Gasoline-powered Mckeen rail cars, like the one shown here crossing Ashley, operated between 1911 and 1925. Summer day trips were so popular that the railroad ran eight trains between Ann Arbor and Whitmore Lake. Locals called the run the "ping-pong."
This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library