In 1918 the town's first off-street gas station opened, replacing curbside pumps like the one in back of Fred Staebler's grocery store on South Ashley, a few feet left of here. Ten years later there were 35 gas stations in Ann Arbor, 29 of them downtown, including HunterÂ’s at West Huron and North First.
City officials ordered horse hitching posts removed from the Main street business district in 1922 and the last horse drawn cab quit in 1924. Autos now dominated the roads.
This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library