The First National Bank opened in 1863 on the street level of Jacob Hangsterfer's Block on the southwest corner. The imposing 1860 Italianate building contained Hangsterfer's Confectionery Shop. A large third floor hall quickly became the cultural and social center of town with lectures, plays, balls, a dancing school, and other social events catered by Hangsterfer.
Frame Location: East side of Main Street, immediately north of the planter on Southeast corner of Washington
Collection info: Sturgis Collection
This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library