Like virtually every other American city, town, and village, Ann Arbor sponsored recycling campaigns during World War II to gather valuable materials for the war effort. Rubber tires, motor oil, and metal were just some of the materials gathered.
Months before the formal entry of the U.S. into the war in 1941, bins were erected on Courthouse Square for the collection of aluminum, a critically important resource in industrial war production.
Frame location: On West wall of Courthouse
This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library