Dunbar center was named for black poet Paul Laurence Dunbar. Its constitution promoted "civic and cultural and recreational interest and activities" and directed "character building and community betterment programs among the colored citizens of Ann Arbor and its suburbs." It provided a drop-in center for kids, like those shown with assistant director Virginia Ellis around 1940. Social and educational programs included teas and dances, and classes in reading, cooking, music, and arts and crafts.
In the late 1950s Dunbar's bylaws were amended to include all citizens and the name was changed to the Ann Arbor Community Center. It moved to a new building on North Main Street in 1960.
This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library
Dunbar Community Center
Social & Civic Facilities
LOH Community Centers
LOH Community Centers - Dunbar
Downtown Ann Arbor Historical Street Exhibit Program
Site 9b: Lumber and Agriculture
Ann Arbor’s African American Community