General Library, 1883
Completed in 1883, the general library also housed the UniversityÂ’s art collection. With an impressive four story, semicircular reading room and twin towers, one with clock and chimes, it was a campus landmark for decades. In 1917 the building was demolished except for the fireproof stacks that were incorporated into what became the graduate library.
Frame location: West side of State Street north of the walk on the north side of the Michigan Union, facing east
This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library