Press enter after choosing selection

University of Michigan Campus, 1907

University of Michigan Campus, 1907 image

By the end of James B. Angell's 38 year presidency, a row of impressive buildings lined state street. the law building (left) had been enlarged, and the original dome on University Hall replaced. The University museum, with its square tower, was designed by UM's first architecture Professor, William Lebaron Jenney, who later invented the steel frame skyscraper. On the corner is an early design for alumni memorial hall, built with a different facade in 1910. Only five of the many buildings added during Angell's tenure remained by 2000: Alumni Memorial Hall, Tappan Hall directly behind it, West Hall (top right), the Dana Building, and North Hall.

Frame location: West side of State Street north of the walk on the north side of the Michigan Union, facing east

This image may be protected by copyright law. Contact the Bentley Historical Library for permission to reproduce, display or transmit this image. Repository: Bentley Historical Library